Networking Setup

Get help and insight.
mycarr
Bot?: No

Networking Setup

Post by mycarr »

Well, I've tried reading every post on the forum for an answer to my problem but there is so much posted here i may have missed it but....

Is it possible to access the BCS remotely if it is wired directly to a laptop which is accessing the network router wirelessly? Seems like it should be easy enough but with my limited understanding of networks the last 4 hours have been a bust.

Before I go into specifics I guess I'd like to know if it is even that simple? Thank you much.
ECC

Re: Networking Setup

Post by ECC »

I think it is possible, but very difficult.

The problem is that you're trying to create a tunnel between two different networks. Network A is controlled by the router, and connected to your computer via wlan card. Network B is point to point, from the computer's wired LAN adapter to the BCS. Getting these two networks to talk to each other might be tricky. Maybe someone with some IT background could chime in.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Yes, you can do this. You'll should have static IP's on the interfaces, and you'll need to "bridge" the wireless and wired connections.

The specifics of doing this are going to be dependent on what OS you are running.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Here's the steps for doing it on Windows 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... ork-bridge

Disregard the warning on that screen. That is only if your laptop was directly connected to the internet - which it is not - because you are behind your router.

You can also accomplish this by enabling Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to allow others internet access through your laptop.
mycarr

Post by mycarr »

Thanks guys for the quick replies.

My OS is windows XP. I'll do some researching on "Bridging interfaces" tonight.
mycarr

Post by mycarr »

Making headway here. the bridge worked seamed to work great but still working on accessing "remotely", outside the LAN. Port forwarding is set to 8080 for the BCS IP but no dice...
Any insight?
Gotta give up for the night here. Still am not able to access the controller from outside of the LAN. I may just be tired and overlooking something simple...
Any ideas out there
Thanks