7 segment display

Get help and insight.
Pmarshall
Bot?: No

7 segment display

Post by Pmarshall »

I recently purchased 2 pid displays and 12c cables. I'm connected to a BCS and all is connected correctly. Ground to BCS, to AC, TO 12v supply etc. The displays work fine for about 20 minutes with correct readings that match the BCS, then the displays lock up and the debug light flashes on the back of the display showing the displays are no longer getting data. If i unplug the 12c cable to the displays and then reattach all is fine again for about 20 minutes and the problem repeats itself. the BCS works fine through all this . Any idea what the solution is? Could the displays be bad?
JonW
Site Admin

Re: 7 segment display

Post by JonW »

What firmware version is your BCS on?
Pmarshall

Post by Pmarshall »

Bcs 460 v 3.7.0
davidmathews

Post by davidmathews »

I'm having the same issue. Bcs 462 running current 3.7. Sometimes it comes up, sometimes not. When it does work it constantly cycles through its configuration then dies. Any luck fixing your issue? Is it the displays?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

What do you mean by "constantly cycles through its configuration"? When the displays power up, I believe they cycle through their version & address, then go to normal display. This takes about 5 seconds on startup.

How long is your I2C cable? Is the I2C cable routed next to any 110v power? Is the 12v ground also tied to the BCS ground?

I run 3 displays on my system and another friend has 3 on his. Neither of us have issues. I don't know off hand what my firmware version is, but maybe we should start there and see if there is something different between earlier models and newer models of the displays.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Another thing you can try is to change your firmware to 3.4.5 and see if that makes any difference.
Pmarshall

Post by Pmarshall »

I don't believe it's the displays. I think the issue may be with EMI. I'm currently attempting to shield the units and inputs. What are you using the displays for? Brew rig or fermentation/refrigeration?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I have mine setup for Kegerator, fermentation chamber and ambient temps. Member SamIam here on the forum does the same with his, but he also reprograms the associated temp probe on them for brew day. I don't bother doing that since I have my touch screen right there displaying the temps.
bonanza

Post by bonanza »

I just want to report the same issue here

BCS 462 - V 3.6.0

Display is used for mashtun temp

If you need any help in test driving a change in the OS count on me

Joe
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Can you guys report what your display firmware version is? Mine is 6.6.1.

Also, if anyone can try theirs with BCS firmware 3.4.5 and report back.