Wireless Access?

Get help and insight.
RonRock
Bot?: No

Wireless Access?

Post by RonRock »

Hello all. BCS noob here. My son tells me I have a package in the mail. That would be my BCS, I'll have to wait until tomorrow when I get home to play.

Anyway, one thing I'd like to figure out is how to make it wireless. I see the previous post about wireless but it leans toward an Airport. I'm a PC. Has anybody used a Linksys WRT 54G as an Access Point? Any suggestions on an inexpensive Wireless Access Point box?

Obviously looking forward to learning how to use the BCS-460.

Ron

One more question. How many BCS's are out there?
RonRock

Re: Wireless Access?

Post by RonRock »

Never mind, found another thread with a bit more info on WAP's. So unless anyone has any more info, I'll just say hello.

Ron
RonRock

Post by RonRock »

It's just too damn cool! I received my BCS, connected the tempprobe and of course it works. I spent a good deal of time yesterday muddiling my way through loading DD-WRT firmware onto an old Linksys WRT54G to make it an Access Point. My first effort at that and I didn't want to "Brick" it. In the end it worked without a hitch. Connected the 54G to my LAN did some configuring, connected the BCS, and Whamoo I now have wireless control of my BCS. Cool.

Just thought I'd put it out there if anyone else wants to do the same. Not that hard, just takes some time figuring out the configuration of the AP. Now I have to figure out how to make everything "Static" so that the AP can be unplugged and reconnected and still easily found on my LAN. That's next.
BCS Portland

Post by BCS Portland »

Congrats on getting it working so quick. Finally got mine wireless and started to brew, one minute into the process it dropped out and I never got it back up. Had to bring the network down and plug back in. Turns out for me a 25ft network cable is easier, although a bit ego deflating.
RonRock

Post by RonRock »

Bummer. I should probably not have started bragging quite yet. I am a very long way from actually using it. It has been sitting there for an hour or so and still seems to work, but that don't really mean much. At least I know it will work, so when trouble arises it "should" be repairable. The real test for me at this point will be shutting down and then a restart to see if everything reloads as hoped. Unless some trouble comes up with the DD-WRT firmware that I haven't seen yet.

Right now I'll just let it go for a while and see what happens.
ECC

Post by ECC »

Hey Ron, glad you got the wireless working. And welcome!

There are about 80 BCS users out there.
RonRock

Post by RonRock »

Cool. Happy to be one. Almost.
microbusbrew

Post by microbusbrew »

hi ronrock,

not sure if you still need help with this, but here's what you can do to give you AP a static IP address. i use ddwrt v 23 sp2 firmware on a couple of WRT54GL routers. one is set up as an actual router and the other is set up as an AP. assuming you have a seperate router that you're using to assign IP addresses on your netwrok, you'll want to disable the dhcp server on the AP. this is on the setup tab > basic setup. you'll also give the AP a static IP address on the same page (setup > basic setup > local ip address). you'll want to assign it an IP that is outside the range used by dhcp server for clients on your network. for example assuming your dhcp router has an ip address of 192.168.1.1 and your starting ip address for dhcp clients is 192.168.1.100 then you could assign your AP an ip address of 192.168.1.x where x is any number from 2 to 99. by assigning it a ip address outside the dhcp range, it essentially lets you use a combination of static and dynamic ip addresses on your network. you can also assign the bcs-460 a static ip via the ethernet settings page. hopefully that all makes sense.
RonRock

Post by RonRock »

Thanks, Yes I got that all sorted out and the DD-WRT based Linksys Client Bridge is working fine. Now I want to give my BCS-460 a Static IP making it easier to find after a restart. Do I want to give the BCS an IP outside of the DHCP pool? Would I use the main router's Gateway address in the BCS ethernet settings? Then uncheck the DHCP box and save.
P-Lay

Post by P-Lay »

I don't want to confuse you or anything, but another option for assigning static IP's to your devices would be to use the "Static-DHCP" method. You tell your BCS-460 to receive a DHCP address from your router and then you tell your router to assign the same IP address to the device (based on MAC address) each time one is requested. This way you can completely administer your DHCP pool and IP address scheme from the server and not have to configure any of the end devices manually any more. I'm not sure about a DD-WRT configuration, but I can do this on my Tomato firmware for the WRT54GL as well as the factory firmware (I think). Also, if you're going to use static IPs configured from the devices, I would definitely recommend using an IP address outside of the DHCP pool. I'll always remember chasing down my first IP address conflict. :)