DIN overriding Temperature

Get help and insight.
OneHoppyGuy
Bot?: No

DIN overriding Temperature

Post by OneHoppyGuy »

I want to use a flow switch connected to DIN0 to override a heater OUT1 normally controlled by TEMP1.

Application: RIMS tube heater element OUT1 is controlled by TEMP1. If DIN0 is open, I want to override OUT1 and shut the heater off.
I haven't found a way to do it in the ladder logic, the TEMP ignores the Ladder Logic.

Any Ideas?
Backyard Brewer

Re: DIN overriding Temperature

Post by Backyard Brewer »

Assuming this is for safety, personally I'd wire the SSR controlling the element through the float switch and make it a hard-wired option. That way you don't need to worry about an error in the logic or computer failure, if there is no liquid in the tube it simply can't fire regardless of the output state.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I think Derrin's idea is best (since there's no reason to ever dry fire the element), but you could also do it with a state change by monitoring the input as an exit condition and changing to a state that does not enable the element.
OneHoppyGuy

Post by OneHoppyGuy »

The reason I wanted to use a DIN was for the BCS to display the heater's status.
I found a way to do it with the BCS: The heater is on a separate process. Reg0 closes - DIN0 closes - Proc2 = on.
I will probably just go through a relay like you suggested. Albeit a mechanical relay so I can use the second pole to inform the BCS that the heater is on.