will this work to measure co2 to gauge fermentation

Get help and insight.
striker1976
Bot?: No

will this work to measure co2 to gauge fermentation

Post by striker1976 »

I want to measure my fermentation progress. I don't need a precise method. Just something representative of what is happening. Something that I can record and compare against future batches. Below is a link to a board that says it measures co2 levels. I have the bcs-462. How well will these two interoperate ? And what would be require to get them too ? or can you recommend a better solution that is currently available ?

http://co2meters.com/Documentation/Data ... %20K30.pdf
brahn

Re: will this work to measure co2 to gauge fermentation

Post by brahn »

I'm not sure how much information you could get about fermentation progress based on co2 concentration.

In terms of working with the BCS, it seems like you could use OUT3/4 on the co2 meter connected to a Digital Input. This would only give you an On/Off value for the presence of co2 above a certain concentration. That might be able to tell you if fermentation has started/stopped, depending on the environment you're using it in.

To use the other outputs or I2C, there would have to be modifications made to the firmware to support the device. We would consider this if there were enough demand for this feature.
striker1976

Post by striker1976 »

I was thinking put the co2 meter by the end of the blow off tube. The more violent the fermenting the more co2 would be close to the blow off outlet because it would quickly disappear into surrounding air. So more co2 at beginning, less towards end. If it returns any value to the bcs. something could be done with it . But can the bcs understand the co2 meter's output that at all ?
cscade

Post by cscade »

I don't think this technique will generate meaningful results unfortunately. The CO2 generated by fermentation won't just disappear into the air like you are thinking. Especially in a blow-off container type scenario, the CO2 will rapidly displace all the air inside the blow-off container, just like inside the fermenter itself. This is because CO2 is heavier than air.

You could use a device like you are looking at to determine the start of fermentation by converting the output to a simple "ON" signal to the BCS when CO2 becomes present. After that though, the CO2 will remain present for the duration of fermentation and onwards indefinitely as long as the air around the blow-off container is relatively still.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I'm sure this sensor is built for being in a completely dry environment. Putting it inside a fermentation chamber with moisture may adversely affect it's ability to measure. Additionally, if you have it attached to a blowoff that goes violent, you may kiss the sensor good bye. Personally, I don't see a big benefit to measuring CO2.