Issues with 3.7.0?

Get help and insight.
nedbrush
Bot?: No

Issues with 3.7.0?

Post by nedbrush »

I upgraded to 3.7.0 a few days ago, and I'm noticing a significant decrease in performance. Wondering if anybody else is seeing this or if it's something isolated to my setup. I had some issues with password protection with 3.4.5 and so I figured it was time to upgrade at the same time. Here are my issues:

- It takes a long time for it to update Process changes after hitting apply. It is literally 29 seconds before it's responsive, which makes editting the state machine tedious.
- I have had to reboot 3 times in 3 days and I'm fairly certain it's the BCS-460 becuase all I have to do is pull the power on the BCS, wait a couple of seconds and everything is fine (ie no changes to netowrk, etc.)

I guess if it stays bad, I'll go back to 3.6.0 and give it a try. Just wondering if anybody is having a similar experience?

Prost,
BB
Brewbud

Re: Issues with 3.7.0?

Post by Brewbud »

I am having troubles. I also had problems inputting changes. Long delays - sometimes I would need to refresh the entire page. I tried Firefox, Chrome and finally Opera but nothing worked. Then I turned off my Zone Alarm firewall and delays went away. Hooray!

Unfortunately I have other problems now :evil:
brahn

Post by brahn »

We've had people running the same code in 3.7.0 for quite some time and haven't been seeing these problems. Like Brewbud said, you might try looking at your firewall software. Other people have reported unresponsiveness from the latest versions of Firefox both on 3.7.0 and previous releases, so you might try Chrome or IE.

What do you mean when you say you have to reboot the device? I assume you just can't connect to it anymore from your browser? Can you give us a little more information about your setup? Are you using DHCP/Static IP? Wireless? Could you try running BCS Finder when it's down? That might help us troubleshoot the problem.
nedbrush

Post by nedbrush »

Thanks for the help, Brahn. I don't think it's the firewall because I've tried several browsers and if I power cycle the BCS everything it's responsive for several hours.

I reboot the device by pulling the power, waiting 5 secs and plugging back in. I do this because my browser(s) can no longer connect to it. I'm using a static address with a wired connection so I don't know what else I can do to make that better. I'm on mac OSX. Is there a BCSFinder utility for mac? I didn't change anything between 3.4.5 and 3.7.0 and 3.4.5 has been rock solid for over a year.

I think I'm going to try 3.6.0 now and see if that any better.
nedbrush

Post by nedbrush »

I flashed it with 3.6.0 and I'll report with my status after I give it a bit more time. So far, it is WAY more responsive for Process updates. It's less than 5 seconds, which is what I'm used to with 3.4.5. Definitely seems like there were issues with 3.7.0. Is there value in me trying 3.7.0 again? Also, are the system and proc files not backward compatible? I tried restoring system and proc files that I created in 3.7.0 and 3.6.0 won't load them. It will load 3.4.5 files.
brahn

Post by brahn »

The configuration files should be compatible across any 3.x release. I know we tested back and forth between 3.7 and 3.6 with no problems. Could you zip the configuration files up and attach them to a PM so I can try loading them on my system?

In terms of whether you should try 3.7.0 again, it really comes down to whether or not you want any of the new features that were included in the release. I would like you to try it again because I want to figure out why you're having problems, but I understand if you're satisfied with the previous release.
nedbrush

Post by nedbrush »

I sent a link to the zip file via PM. At a glance, they definitely look different. FYI, I generated them the only way I know how from the Settings page. I'm wondering if it will give clues to what's wrong with my 3.7.0 flash.

Also, I tried reinstalling 3.7.0 this morning and got the same results. I redownloaded the .bin from the website just in case it something wrong with my original. I didn't wait long enough to see if the web server stopped responding, but right off the bat the Process updates (via "Apply") took roughly 30 seconds again. It felt like the same, lethargic 3.7.0 from a few days ago. I've had 3.6.0 running all day and it seems fine. I was able to recreate my Processes from scratch with good responsiveness and the web server's been up and responsive all day. There are a couple features in 3.7.0 that would be nice, but I would definitely choose to live without them over having to deal with my 3.7.0 problems.

Thanks for the help!
BB
pbryngel

Post by pbryngel »

I am having some of the same issue with a BCS-460. I am using a static IP address with wireless adapter which functioned reliably with previous firmware versions. With 3.7 I need to power cycle daily to connect with a browser but it still seems to be controlling my chest freezer correctly. I'll probably go back to 3.6.
duck020

Post by duck020 »

Hi Guys... I was wondering if anyone is having issues with the LED style temp guages? I am based in Australia, so I run the controller in Celsius mode. For anything in triple digits the display is correct, however the temp display in my lagering fridge using double digits the decimal point is in the wrong place.

as you can see above, the lagering temp should be 8.0 or 08.0 rather than 80.

has anyone else seen this? When I switch back to analogue dial display the temp shows correctly

cheers
cscade

Post by cscade »

duck; The images you posted won't load for me, but I understand your description. We're aware of a few bugs related to the combination of celcius mode and the new displays, we will resolve them in a bugfix release. Thanks, and sorry you ran into this!