Issue changing the temperature in state properties

Get help and insight.
timweber
Bot?: No

Issue changing the temperature in state properties

Post by timweber »

I just received my BSC-460. I have it hooked up to two SSRs, and I have two thermistors hooked up to it. I tested both circuits by running each on a set point temperature PID controlled, so I know everything is wired up correctly.

I am now playing with multiple states.

I can set the setpoint temperature in state 0 and I have it count down for 30 seconds then have an exit condition to move to state 1. When I try to edit the temperature in state 1 and hit apply or refresh the input temperature changes from my set point and back to the default. What am I doing wrong!?

I am just trying to learn at the moment, and have a heater blowing on to the thermistor. All I want to do heat the thermistor at 90F for 30 seconds then start heating at 105 when the time is up. Is there a setting that I am missing?
ECC

Re: Issue changing the temperature in state properties

Post by ECC »

Edit the temp setpoint in state1, and then press Apply. By pressing Apply, the interface automatically does a refresh... But sometimes (depending on the network), the refresh generated from the Apply is faster and gets the previous (old) data, so it looks like the new settings didn't take effect. In fact they did, just hit Refresh again.

The best practice is to always press the Refresh button after the Apply button to verify the settings have taken effect. Hope that helps, let us know if you are still seeing issues.
timweber

Post by timweber »

That doesn't seem to be working.

I can edit anything I want in state 0. As soon as I move to state 1 any thing I change in the current state properties resets when I press apply. If I press refresh afterward, there is no change, the setting remain in the default state.

I have the controller plugged directly into my computer with about 5 feet of cable.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

I've had something similar happen to me when I was doing lots of work on my process. I know this sounds odd, but it didn't seem to happen as much when I was running firefox.
ECC

Post by ECC »

Also keep in mind that you always have to save any work on a state before switching to another state. If you select a different state from the pulldown before saving (Apply), settings will be lost.
timweber

Post by timweber »

No luck. I was using firefox. It doesnt mater which process I am in, as soon as I try to edit something in a state higher than state 0, I press apply, all new changes are reset, wait a couple of seconds then press refresh, and nothing happens.

I am going to try a couple more things. I want to run though my LAN network to see if I can slow down the data transfer, Ill try another computer, and Ill see if a different browser works.

This is very frustrating. :-/
ECC

Post by ECC »

Sorry for your frustration. Which version of Firefox are you using? I definitely think trying a different computer is worthwhile.

I enabled Firebug, which is firefox's debugger, and noticed that the ulstate.dat file save, which is used to save temperature and timer values (not enables) takes quite a bit longer to save than the rest of the settings. 3seconds vs. milliseconds. This has existed in previous versions of the firmware as well. It might be possible that the extra time needed, somehow coupled with your network/computer setup, is somehow causing the update to be lost. This doesn't explain why state0 can save, but not state1, but might help point us in the right direction. Its possible that this is a corner-case BCS bug that has never been hit before.

Are you able to change other settings in state1, like enable a timer?

Are you able to successfully modify the PID coefficients on the System Settings page?
timweber

Post by timweber »

I switched computers and that has solved the problem. Just bought this computer yesterday so it has the latest and greatest. I have the same version of firefox v3.5.6, on the new and old computer.

No, it was strange I could edit whatever I wanted in state 0, but I could not edit anything in any other state. I could change whatever I wanted in the settings.

I'll keep you posted it it stops working again. Ill try updating firefox on my other computer just incase. A very hard problem to solve without knowing my entire setup. For now I will program it using this computer. I am just glad it seems to be working now :-)
kapavita

Post by kapavita »

I wanted to modify my states and discovered the same problem with changing the temperatures;
it seems like this happens to all states except state 0.

My current setup is: Firefox version is 3.5.9, laptop connecting to BCS-460 via a D-link wireless router.
I don't know which Firefox version I had when I last configured the BCS-460 about 1-1/2 month
ago but had no problems then.

After reading this thread, I used Internet Explorer to test and I was successful in changing the
temperatures. (Of course I am aware, there are other parts of the interface that don't work with IE)

I also upgraded to Firefox 3.6.3 but changing the temperatures is still a problem.

Vk
ECC

Post by ECC »

This is fixed in v3.0+