Alarms Issues

Get help and insight.
dp2001
Bot?: No

Alarms Issues

Post by dp2001 »

I just received my BCS and have started the programming of the processes and I'm having trouble with Alarms.
1. Email Alarm
2. Hearing the alarm on Safari on IPAD or IPhone

I tested the alarm by creating a state to heat the strike water before mash in. The process exits when the strike temperature is reached. When I run the process on my laptop using Chrome the process runs correctly and the alarms sounds. But with no email notification. I have set the global email setting in the settings area along with my email address and enabled email notification in the alarms section.

When I run the processes on my IPAD or IPhone I can not hear the alarm or receive an email.

Can someone point in areas to look? I suspect IOS is my problem on the Apple products. But if I can't hear an alarm from them what is the point of using them. Is this an issue with an Android tablet too.

But as I understand it the email should work. Firmware is 3.7

Thanks,

Dan
oakbarn

Re: Alarms Issues

Post by oakbarn »

e mail on Alarm is likely related to your ISP blocking Port 25.

I have tried several things to get the alarm to sound on the IPhone (Yes, Alice. You can simply connect using Safari on the Iphone to connect to the BCS without Brew Buddy) but have had no luck. I assume it is the way the Iphone cache works as that is where the alrm mp3 file resides (again, an assumption).

There is an anomaly in the saving and restoring of the alarm under the System Settings => Misc...

It stores it fine and loads without an issue, but only on the device where the configuration file was restored. If you have another computer or an Iphone, it looks like about everything else is "restored" across devices with the exception of the alarm path. Even after a soft reset, the alarm path is not updated. You can also clear the cache and it has no effect. On the Iphone, even if you type in a new web based path for the alarm, no sound is issued by the Iphone.

One work around I could think of is to assert an "Out" on State Change tied to a radio as your alarm.
brahn

Post by brahn »

The email is an issue with our hosting provider. They keep blocking the port coming in to our server which relays the message. This is something we'll be addressing, but I don't have a timeline at the moment.

The audio on mobile devices is a restriction put in place by the device/browser. Audio on a mobile browser must be triggered initially by direct user interaction. The alarm obviously isn't triggered by a user generated event, so the browser won't play any audio. There may be a workaround for this, I plan on looking into them in 4.0 once some of the bigger features have been implemented.

One popular option is to use the "Alarm to Reg10" option with a very simple piece of ladder logic to assert an output and use a hardware alarm buzzer.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

brahn wrote:One popular option is to use the "Alarm to Reg10" option with a very simple piece of ladder logic to assert an output and use a hardware alarm buzzer.
The hardware alarm triggered by an output is by far the best option. Works every time.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

JonW wrote:
brahn wrote:One popular option is to use the "Alarm to Reg10" option with a very simple piece of ladder logic to assert an output and use a hardware alarm buzzer.
The hardware alarm triggered by an output is by far the best option. Works every time.
I want to turn off the alarm with a DIN. I have a flashing light and horn on Out 10 (Thought it would be nice to use 10 as Reg 10 can be set as well)_. What steps do I need to use a DIN to reset the alarm> A pix of the ladder logic and "cookbook" would be nice.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

oakbarn wrote:
JonW wrote:
I want to turn off the alarm with a DIN. I have a flashing light and horn on Out 10 (Thought it would be nice to use 10 as Reg 10 can be set as well)_. What steps do I need to use a DIN to reset the alarm> A pix of the ladder logic and "cookbook" would be nice.
I'm guessing you didn't check the ladder logic section of the wiki? :o

The Reg10 example alarm and using a Din to clear it is clearly shown there.

http://wiki.embeddedcc.com/index.php/Ladder_Logic
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I thought it was in one of the forum posts. I had seen it and looked through the forum for it several times. Clear as my ALARM bell in the Wiki. :oops:
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Here's a forum post with a little more info also: http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1766