7 segment display

Get help and insight.
davidmathews
Bot?: No

Re: 7 segment display

Post by davidmathews »

Does anyone know if the driver source is open? Is there more data on how the BCS communicates with the displays? What speed should the clock be? Hooking the BCS up to my scope, i'll post captures as soon as i have them.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Both 3.4.5 and 3.6.0 should work fine with the displays.

What is the status of the debug LED on the displays? What addresses are you setting on the displays?

Here's the manual for the displays: https://www.oscsys.com/sites/default/fi ... Manual.pdf
davidmathews

Post by davidmathews »

Im thinking there is a high probability that i have two bad BCS computers, and that it might be a bad batch of controllers.

So far:

i have downgraded to 3.6.0
Removed all but one display, addressed the display to all of the supported addresses
checked for power supply noise

All I'm running right now on the computers is ONE temp sensor and one display. The final system is going to have 15-20 valves, 2 heating elements, a two stage gas burner (low-mid-high) and a handful of float valves. I really don't want to keep working with this system if it can't even be stable with an ultra basic setup. I was way father along with the Arduino/Beagle Bone setup i had started before. I'm getting close to demanding a refund. This is completely unacceptable for 'supported' functions of a rather expensive controller.
Pmarshall

Post by Pmarshall »

Firmware version of LEDs 6.6.2
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I tried to replicate this issue yesterday with a brand new controller and two new displays that Derrin sent me. It all worked flawlessly. I'm going to put the (new) displays back in my setup tonight and let them run for an extended period of time to see if something will happen. The new displays are a little different from the 1st gen ones, but do seem to work identical.
Pmarshall

Post by Pmarshall »

I would be interested in an extended test. I am running two LEDs for fermentation and dispensing temp control. They will run for about 24 hours and then freeze, with the LEDs showing fixed digits and locked but not matching the BCS. The debug light on the LEDs flash on both which according to the manual indicates the LEDs are working but not receiving information from the BCS.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

After 12+ hours this morning, all was fine with the displays.

For this test, I'm actually running my kegerator and fermentation chamber on a brand new controller and two brand new displays. I will continue to let this run for a couple of days just to see if anything happens.
Broken pedal

Post by Broken pedal »

Hello, new here as you can tell from the post count. I have been a bit of a troll though ( thank you all for the help). I am having this same issue. Working on a brew set up but want to expand it to some home automation as well. This issue has me a bit worried that my investment of the displays was a waste.

I have version 6.6.2 on the pid display and 3.7.0 on the BCS460. Has any one found a solution that changing back and forth turns the issue on and off. My up time seems to be getting shorter on the display and want to get this fixed pior to cutting holes in my enclosure. Any help would be awesome. Don't want this topic to die as the displays were a major selling point for me. Thank you much. -Jared-
Jared
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

It's a bug in 3.7.0. You'll need to downgrade the firmware for now if you want to use the LED displays.
Broken pedal

Post by Broken pedal »

Thank you for the support. I will try that.
Jared