Help connecting to BCS through another computer

Get help and insight.
sjlammer
Bot?: No

Help connecting to BCS through another computer

Post by sjlammer »

RIght now i have the BCS connected to my brewery computer that is located in the basement. The brewery computer is connected to my LAN via wireless router.

On brew day i do not need to connect wirelessly, but i would like to tinker with the setting while im sitting on the couch watching TV.

Is there a way to connect to the BCS through the brewery computer.

The system looks like this:

me -> laptop -> wireless connect to router -> wireless connect to brewery computer -> hardwire to BCS

Thanks for your help
gbrewer

Re: Help connecting to BCS through another computer

Post by gbrewer »

You could try some sort of remote access client. Run your other PC remotely from your laptop. The responses coming from your other computer could lag due to network issues and be a headache when trying to monitor the process.

There have been several threads written discussing connecting your BCS-460 directly to a network router. In my opinion, this would be the best way to handle remote accessto your brewery. You can access the BCS-460 from multiple computers if the BCS-460 is connected to the network router.
jmdenmark

Post by jmdenmark »

Two simple options:

1. Remote desktop/VNC into the brewery computer from the laptop so you can interact with Firefox on there via the VNC client.
or
2. Put the BCS on the LAN directly and assign it a permanent IP address then you can access it from any computer on the LAN.
sjlammer

Post by sjlammer »

Ok. I thought maybe there was a way, sort of like an ad-hoc network connection I could establish through the brewery computer.

I will try the VNC first and see if i can manage it this way. Im not planning on running the BCS through VNC, just tinkering with it so i can fiddle around while the old lady watches trading spaces after work.

Its like Quality Time, except i get to do something interesting :D
brewmastershake

Post by brewmastershake »

I'd second the vote for Remote Desktop (over VNC). It is built in to most windows versions. Start->Programs->Accessories->Remote Desktop Connection. You might need to enable connections on the brewery machine by going to Control Panel->System and then the Remote tab, and click "Allow users to connect remotely". VNC has a bad refresh lag even over a LAN, but Remote Desktop is almost as if you were using the remote machine. With VNC you don't have to log back on to the remote machine after you use it though. I do most of the programming for the BCS over remote desktop, and it has worked great. If I just want to check the temps I'd use VNC, but to program or run I use Remote Desktop.

Cheers,
Shake
sjlammer

Post by sjlammer »

Well i tried remote desktop, remote assistance, and VNC... no dice.

so i just threaded an ethernet cord up through the basement. :?

Guess i will have to learn to remote a different day.