Lost Comm

Get help and insight.
oakbarn
Bot?: No

Lost Comm

Post by oakbarn »

I was trying to set up a static IP and have lost connection with the BCS.

The Static IP i set was 192.168.65.45
I also changed the port to 8085

Typing in http:192.168.65.45 does not work. :twisted:

I tried a Hard Reset but cannot feel a reset button. When you say angled for the non metallic tool, where is it. What is considered the "top" of the BCS?
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Lost Comm

Post by JonW »

The screw terminals are facing the top. Maybe take a peek in the hole with a flashlight so you can see the orientation of the button.

After changing and saving IP settings, you need to power cycle the BCS for the new settings to take effect.

Not knowing your networking background, let me ask these questions:
- What subnet was it on before changing the IP?
- What subnet is your computer on?
- Did you change the subnet mask and/or the gateway?
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Found it and reset fine. I did not change any of the other settings.

The subnet mask was (and is ) 255.255.255.0
The Gateway is set at 192.168.0.1
the Mac is aa 00 02 00 23 5c

under ipconfig.exe my settings for the subnet and default gateway or the same.

I want to set a static ip. I just chose an odd number in the 192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.255
Range. I also set the port to 8085.

The IP should be OK as it in the correct range. Is my problem with the Port?
The BCS finder could not find it when I had it set to 192.168.65.45 with Port 8085.

I also only tried to connect using “http:// 192.168.65.45”
Before I mess it up again, any suggestions?. I have tried to find info in the forum and wiki, but do not see a good example. I am fairly computer literate but network dumb.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Trying to do it in steps. The DHCP assigns 192.168.0.77

I unchecked the enable DHCP and set the address to 192.168.22.77 and reset the BCS.
It lost comm again and I had to do another hard reset.

I do notice that the DHCP is assigning 192.168.0.77 each time after a Hard Reset.

Is this a stable number? What if I change routers?
Should I choose this number as my Static IP?

Just a note: The Hard Reset button is very slightly higher than center (Not very much, maybe 1/64 th inch) Top is same side as Decal and screws on BCS. It is about a 1/4 inch in and you have to angle the tool (I use a match stick but a hard coffee stirrer might work better) ever so slightly up . The button is fairly centered on the hole.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Answer me this: Why are you choosing the static IP address that you used (192.168.22.77) ?
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I just choose one :D . The number has no meaning. I cannot see anything on "why" or "how" to choose a Static IP address. I would have assumed any in the Default Gateway range would have worked. I am trying to set this up so I can remotely access the BCS and start/stop a process such as a Fermentation rest from Egypt when floating down the Nile. I am also trying to understand Static IP and Ports as it pertains to the BCS. I can choose any number that will work.

Part of my problem is that I am not that familiar yet with the BCS and really in the "learning" with a steep curve right now. For Example, I looked up DIN in an online Dictionary and it said it was a loud noise. I know you mean "Discrete Input", but I do not know quite what that means.

I am sure most of what I need to know is very basic, but as a newbie, I do not know the terminology or what effect certain items have. I try to find it in the Wiki or the Discussion, but sometimes come up with more questions than answers.

I am sure once I get my first process working I will be fine. I have some minor programming skills (Visual Basic only) so I under stand Ladder Logic and Process ( If x=y then do "Z")
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

oakbarn wrote:I just choose one :D . The number has no meaning.
OK, there's the problem. :P The numbers should have a LOT of meaning. The IP addressing really has nothing to do with the BCS itself as this is strictly a network configuration issue. This is internet addressing 101.

Since your router had doled out an address of 192.168.0.77 and was using a subnet of 255.255.255.0, this means that all devices on your network need to be in the range of 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.255. Since your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, this means that only the last digit (4th octet) is going to be variable (thus the 1 to 255 range). You cannot change the 3rd octet to .22 like you did unless you also change your subnet (please don't). Your router is already using the first address at .1, so all other devices must be in the range of .2 to .255. Also, the gateway address will almost always be your router. This means that if a device cannot find the address it needs on the local network, then forward it to the router to resolve upstream.

What this numbering comes down to is a "visibility" issue between devices. All devices need to be assigned an address within the same subnet so that they can see each other. The way you configured the BCS with 192.168.22.77 and a subnet of 255.255.255.0 means that the BCS could only communicate with devices that were numbered 192.168.22.1 to 192.168.22.255. Since your PC was on the 192.168.0.0 network, it couldn't see the BCS.

Here's what you want to do: Log into your router and see if it has a setting for what it uses as the DHCP range (most do). Change it to only dole out DHCP addresses from 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.255. This will leave the address range of 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.99 available for you to assign as static addresses to anything you want. You can then choose a number in that range for the BCS.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Thanks for the networking lesson. I am sure that most users have "outside" network support and understand little about the protocols. I am writing my own little notes and if I have come across your answer in another discussion, it would have made prefect sense. Great Answer! :o