Cannot log into my BCS after STATIC IP

Get help and insight.
ThePol
Bot?: No

Cannot log into my BCS after STATIC IP

Post by ThePol »

Well, I really did it. I tried to set up my BCS for a STATIC IP and well, now I cannot use it at all.

Went into ethernet settings and clicked the little box next to DCHP and STATIC so that it is NOT checked. Then input an IP address of 192.168.0.12 just to the left of that.

Now, I am hosed. I cannot get into my BCS at all, not even to CHANGE it back.

So, anyone else do this? I am sure I can get it fixed, but I am so pissed that I messed with it anyway.

Thanks
Baron Ken

Re: Cannot log into my BCS after STATIC IP

Post by Baron Ken »

Never fear!

http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/ ... Hard_Reset
Depress switch longer than 20 seconds, less than 30 seconds then Release

The controller will reset the static IP address to http://192.168.0.63 (port 80). The MAC address is reset back to factory defaults, and DHCP is disabled. All other system settings are left intact.
Baron Ken

Post by Baron Ken »

ThePol wrote:...but I am so pissed that I messed with it anyway.
What?!? Messing with it is half the fun! :)
ThePol

Post by ThePol »

Well, oddly... after going to bed at 2am. I wake up this morning realizing that I set my BCS static IP to a value that is within my servers DHCP range, which I have read is a no no.

I get up this morning looking for help and no one is awake yet! So, all of a sudden the BCS shows up, under the IP that I assigned to it last night.(192.168.0.12) I quickly log into my BCS and change my static IP to a value OUTSIDE of my DHCP (192.168.0.21)

Now, everything is working swimmingly. Crossing my fingers. I even powered down my home router, my wireless brige and my BCS... brought it all back up... bam, instantly logged into everything.

The problem I was having with the DHCP dynamic IP was that the BCS kept dropping off, then Id have to repower it, then it would show up, then drop off.

So far, so good... looks like I have the continuity I need now that I changed the ethernet settings to an IP of 192.168.0.21 with a gateway of 192.168.0.2

My DHCP range is 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.19

I am learning much more about networking than I ever really wanted to ;)

BE WARNED, if you are setting your static IP, check your routers DCHP range by logging into it first. Typically 192.168.0.1 in your browser window. Username: admin Password: password and then look at your LAN settings or LAN IPs.

You will see a DHCP range, DO NOT SET YOUR STATIC IP for your BCS within this range. If the range is like mine, say out to xxx.xxx.x.19 then make your gateway xxx.xxx.x.2 and your BCS IP address to something like xxx.xxx.x.21

You will have issues if you set your IP address within your routers DHCP dynamic IP range.

Thanks for the heads up on the hard reset!! NICE! I may need that someday!
rcrabb22

Post by rcrabb22 »

Some routers (like mine) are able to reserve a static IP for a specific device via MAC address. In that case you shouldn't have to worry assigning a static IP with your network's DHCP range to the BCS.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

Yes... Good tip for some. I am also able to reserve my static IP for a specific devia via MAC address. I have a fairly basic router that I use with my BCS.. You can get your MAC address from the sticker on the BCS if you want to do it the manual way.

Glad to hear you got it working. Making the BCS network can be a battle for some.