Can't update the firmware using tftp server on mac

Get help and insight.
bergerrings
Bot?: No

Can't update the firmware using tftp server on mac

Post by bergerrings »

Hi Guys,

I am really struggling to update the firmware using tftp server for mac. I have done absolutely everything I can think of. I have even done a hard reset on the bcs and still cannot get the firmware to update. I have tried absolutely every IP address I can think of. I have tried both directly and connected via network and still nothing.

How long should it take to update the firmware? I'm waiting a minute or two, but the tftp server never says anything along the lines of transferring data so I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen. I have done port forwarding to port 69, apparently that's what tftpServer on mac uses.

I'm going cray here trying everything so any advice would be much, much appreciated.

Will the firmware update be done in a similar manner when 4.0 comes out?

Thanks in advance anyone and everyone.
bergerrings

Re: Can't update the firmware using tftp server on mac

Post by bergerrings »

Update:

In the end I gave up on my mac and tried it on Windows. Still couldn't get it to work for a while but in the end managed to finally update it. Turns out you cannot use any special characters or spaces in the folder that contains your firmware update file. For anyones reference, I just connected the bcs directly to my laptop, this way there is only one IP and it's fixed...one less variable!
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Any issues with spaces or special characters in the folder name is going to be a limitation of the TFTP server. The BCS only requests the filename bcs460.bin and has no idea of folder structure.
brahn

Post by brahn »

Jon's right, any limitations on folder structure are part of the TFTP server, not the BCS.

Did you get it working on Windows or on the Mac? I haven't gotten it to work on the Mac either. I actually use a Raspberry Pi to host my tftpd.

Yes, the update will work the same way when 4.0 comes out. The firmware update component is actually separate from the rest of the firmware image and can only be updated by connecting to the JTAG headers on the board. This makes it pretty impractical to change the firmware update method used by the BCS.
391dave

Post by 391dave »

Would it be easier with a thunderbolt to gigabit adapter and connecting right to the BCS?
brahn

Post by brahn »

I think the problem is getting the Mac to listen for/respond to TFTP connections. A different NIC isn't going to help that. If anyone does get it working on their Mac, I'd really like to see the steps.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I have found an issue with the folder named "C:\users\myname\downloads" on the utility I use. No special Characters. It does not like the default Windows download folder. Some extra security I guess. I use Windows 7 so cannot help with a MAC. I move the Firmware to another folder (C:\BCS) and have no issues.
Broph

Post by Broph »

I use an app called TFTP SERVER by Fabrizio La Rosa (v.3.4.1) and works very easily. Just launch the program, Put the BCS.BIN file in the desired folder, then enable the server. On the BCS system settings screen type in the IP address shown in the TFTP Server screen (middle-right sign of screen of the TFTP server program).
TFTP-server.jpg
TFTP-server.jpg (86.35 KiB) Viewed 7565 times
Thomas Brophy
AleForce Homebrewery
Jcc4507fly

Post by Jcc4507fly »

Finally got it!!! Posted my steps over in this thread.

http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.p ... 179#p10179

Thanks Broph!