Trying to direct connect to a Macbook with no luck

Get help and insight.
GeekSpirits
Bot?: No

Trying to direct connect to a Macbook with no luck

Post by GeekSpirits »

I am trying to direct connect to my Macbook. I have followed the various instructions but nothing seems to work. Has anyone actually been able to make this work and if so, could they go through the steps they used?
oakbarn

Re: Trying to direct connect to a Macbook with no luck

Post by oakbarn »

Although I use Windows, I have never been able to get a Direct Connection. Using a router is much easier and it works. You do not have to be connected to the internet, just both the computer and the BCS on the same network. There are many threads about connection issues and almost all give the Networked advice. If you tried a Hard Reset, then make sure you do it for 15 seconds ONLY. If you did not do a Hard Reset, do not bother as it is not the issue.
brahn

Post by brahn »

I have made a direct connection with the BCS using my Macbook in an emergency situation just so I could change the settings back to DHCP. I cannot provide steps that would be useful because they would be different for every attempt.

Direct connection is by far the hardest way to connect to the BCS and should only be attempted by those with extensive computer networking experience. Oakbarn is right, connecting through a router using DHCP is the best way to connect to the BCS and the only way I would recommend.
GeekSpirits

Post by GeekSpirits »

I gave up and just connected it to my router which works and I can now connect to it. Seems like this is really the easiest way to connect.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

GeekSpirits wrote:I gave up and just connected it to my router which works and I can now connect to it. Seems like this is really the easiest way to connect.
Yes, connecting via a router is always the preferred method.

A direct connection is difficult due to the variables that exist in each persons configuration of BCS, network & computer. The easiest way to actually do a direct connection is to first connect via a router and then hard-code the network address into the BCS. However, this does require a somewhat advanced level of networking as most people will want to direct connect with a laptop while that laptop is also still connected to their WiFi network. This is where the problem starts since your computer is now wanting to communicate to devices on two different networks - WiFi & hardwired. The misconfiguration of dual networks is usually the stumbling block to getting direct connect working and why it is not an officially supported configuration.
jward

Post by jward »

Most routers allow one to configure a fixed IP number associated with a specific MAC address. Doing this with for the BCS can keep your BCS on the same IP number all the time and still using the easy, reliable DHCP configuration.
Pezzonovante11

Post by Pezzonovante11 »

Just thought I'd throw a quick tip out there.
I use MACs and I had a hell of a time connecting to my BCS.

Download a program called LanScan. It's free on the app store. The icon for it is a little duck head picture.

Just connect your BCS to a LAN port on your router and power it up. Start the lanscan program and hit the scan button.
You will get a list of IPs and Mac addresses. Find the MAC address of your BCS on this list and you will have the IP.

Type the IP in your browser and bam, done.

Good luck.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

While that is a good tip Pezz, you can usually accomplish the same thing by looking at the DHCP lease page in your router.

This thread was about direct connect (no hub/switch/router) and is an advanced method that we do not suggest you use.
TheAleMaster

Post by TheAleMaster »

I was able to direct connect using a crossover cable and an app similar to LanScan. But I only did that because I was having issues updating the firmware. Going through a router is my preferred choice.
brahn

Post by brahn »

The NIC on the BCS is auto-sensing, so a crossover cable shouldn't be necessary but it will work.