Can't Update Firmware (Mac or PC)

Get help and insight.
TheAleMaster
Bot?: No

Can't Update Firmware (Mac or PC)

Post by TheAleMaster »

I am unable to update my firmware from version 3.4.5 to the latest 3.7.1. I have tried using my Mac running OS X 10.10.2 and TftpServer (my preferred method) and my work machine running Windows 8.1 using the HS TFTP Demo linked to from the Wiki page. In both instances, the BCS-460 goes into the update mode as I lose connection to it. But the software does not transfer and the BCS does not come back online until I cycle the power.

Some more about my particular set up:
  1. My router is an AirPort Extreme (4th Generation, though I have the newest ready to install)
  2. I have a static IP for my BCS, but assign it through the AirPort Extreme using the BCS's MAC address
  3. I connect to the BCS wirelessly using a Netgear Universal WiFi Adapter
  4. The Netgear adapter has its own IP address separate from the BCS
  5. When operating the BCS, the Netgear and its IP address are invisible to me - I type in the IP address I assigned to the BCS in my router, not the Netgear's IP address.
Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks in advance!
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Can't Update Firmware (Mac or PC)

Post by JonW »

Losing connection to the BCS is normal once you go into firmware update mode. At that point the BCS is trying to retrieve the firmware image from the IP address of the TFTP server you specified. You will only be able to access the GUI again after a power cycle to the BCS.

The most likely problems are that either the image file is not named BCS460.BIN or the machine hosting the TFTP server is blocking connections. The TFTP server uses port 69 for initial contact, but also chooses a random port for the actual file transfer. I suggest completely turning off your firewall when attempting to send the image file.
TheAleMaster

Post by TheAleMaster »

JonW wrote:Losing connection to the BCS is normal once you go into firmware update mode. At that point the BCS is trying to retrieve the firmware image from the IP address of the TFTP server you specified. You will only be able to access the GUI again after a power cycle to the BCS.

The most likely problems are that either the image file is not named BCS460.BIN or the machine hosting the TFTP server is blocking connections. The TFTP server uses port 69 for initial contact, but also chooses a random port for the actual file transfer. I suggest completely turning off your firewall when attempting to send the image file.
I knew losing the connection was normal, just didn't know what was going on (i.e. the BCS is trying to retrieve the image) after that. Thanks for the insight. I just looked at my firewall is indeed off. I got another piece of advice from a guy at work and he said to look into the "Sharing" preferences. I'll take a look into that.

Regarding Port 69, do I need to open that port in my AirPort Extreme? If so, would I assign it to the IP address of the machine running the TFTP server?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

TheAleMaster wrote:Regarding Port 69, do I need to open that port in my AirPort Extreme? If so, would I assign it to the IP address of the machine running the TFTP server?
You don't need to open that port on the Airport. Opening ports is only for remote access from outside your network. You should be doing this from a computer on the same local LAN as the BCS is connected to. Where was your work machine when you tried doing this? On your local LAN (home) or at work?
TheAleMaster

Post by TheAleMaster »

At home. Same network.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Many antivirus programs also have firewalls, so your machine could actually have 2 firewalls that need to be disabled.
TheAleMaster

Post by TheAleMaster »

I just tried again. I don't have anti-virus software on my Mac, no firewalls running, enabled File Sharing. Still nothing.
TheAleMaster

Post by TheAleMaster »

I just found an old netbook that has nothing on it but Windows XP. Same thing. The BCS goes into update mode, but the firmware is never transferred.
jward

Post by jward »

Can you confirm that tftp is working? Have you tried a different version of the firmware?
TheAleMaster

Post by TheAleMaster »

Tried different versions of the firmware. I have no idea how to know if the TFTP working. Everything says okay in the UI. And it's the same problem across three computers now.