Can't Update Firmware (Mac or PC)

Get help and insight.
Broph
Bot?: No

Re: Can't Update Firmware (Mac or PC)

Post by Broph »

Is the MAC w/TFTP server on wireless as well? Is it on the same wireless network? I recently helped someone with a printing problem. They were able to print from this printer, but all of a sudden they couldn't. We found that the MAC found another wireless network to use while they were in a different part of their house - which caused the problem - their mac somehow was on the neighbors network or a guest network that their router was broadcasting.

Can you ping it's IP address from another computer on your network?

If the MAC w/TFTP server activated is not plugged into the router, maybe try plugging it in to see if that helps the BCS find the TFTP server.
Thomas Brophy
AleForce Homebrewery
jward

Post by jward »

Since the BCS's web interface is working they are likely on the same network. The symptoms seem most consistent with the BCS not actually getting the file.

To test tftp enable/install a tftp client which may be easiest on the XP computer. This is a better test if you have the tftp server on one computer and tftp client on another.
brahn

Post by brahn »

I've never gotten TftpServer to work on my Mac, but I know others have had success with it. jward's suggestion is good. The problem is most likely with the TFTP server somehow and using a client from the windows machine might give you a better idea of what's going on.
TheAleMaster

Post by TheAleMaster »

It just so happens I'm in good with our Infrastructure & Networking team at work, so they are showing me how to do a direct connection. If that doesn't work out (and even if it does), I will try the TFTP client as well. The kicker for me is that I cannot get it to work on any machine, not just TftpServer.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

When you enter firmware update mode on the BCS, are you entering the correct IP address of the machine running the TFTP server?
TheAleMaster

Post by TheAleMaster »

Yep.
TheAleMaster

Post by TheAleMaster »

Well, I've tried everything I can think of. Wired through the router, wired direct connection, wireless computer/wired BCS, wired computer/wireless BCS. Home network. Work network. TFTP works between my Mac and PC, but the BCS never pulls the firmware regardless of which computer or configuration I try. The only thing I can really think of at this point is maybe something is wrong with my BCS?
jward

Post by jward »

If I were having this issue my next move would be to run wire shark and look to see what if anything the BCS and tftp server are saying to each other. That may require the help of your networking friends. If they are talking you might be able to tell more of what is wrong.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I like http://sourceforge.net/projects/tftputil/

It is a Windows based , but has a log of what it is doing.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I'll give you another option if you need.... You can ship it directly to me or to Brewers Hardware and I'll pick it up there and see if I have the same issues.