RE: Data Log help

Get help and insight.
TeacherX
Bot?: No

RE: Data Log help

Post by TeacherX »

Fellow Brewers,

I just finished brewing a Racer 5 clone, my second batch on my new Brutus 10-based rig. I have figured out a lot about the BCS 460 thanks to the good people on this forum, but I still have a couple fairly basic questions:

How does one actually use the Data Log feature? I see the times, temps, etc, on the Main Control page, but the Data Log is blank, and has been for both brewing sessions. The wiki does a great job of explaining the features, but I'm stumped as far as how to actually use them.

Also, I'm having trouble controlling the temperature swings on both batches. I have a hybrid system using natural gas burners and a BCS controlled RIMS tube. The temp rises perfectly according to the mash process I've written, and moves from the "heat to 152" to the "hold at temp 152" as it's supposed to; but in the middle of the first rest--with the gas burners off--the temp shot up 6 degrees for no apparent reason. I have the Hysteresis on the System Settings page set to 2 degrees, but cannot account for this. I've attached screen shots of my situation.

Thanks for any light you can shed...
mash process.pdf
(77.64 KiB) Downloaded 544 times
pid_hyst .pdf
(60.39 KiB) Downloaded 510 times
JonW
Site Admin

Re: RE: Data Log help

Post by JonW »

Really hard to tell why your temps shot up without knowing your plumbing and temp probe placement.

For data logging, you need to choose which temp probes to log and the frequency. You can then view the data during the brew day to see the history of the temps. If you wait until hours later, you may not be able to see the data as it would have been overwritten.
TeacherX

Post by TeacherX »

Jon,

I'm planning a brew day soon, and still haven't figured out how to record data from the BCS. Even while brewing, I can't see any probe data at all--nothing but a blank grid appears on the screen. Is there somewhere I can go to look up how to use this feature?

Thanks,

RSCarey
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Are you scrolling down the datalog screen to see the setup area? You need to first set the "Datalog Scale" section so that you record temps within the range you expect. You then need to select which temp probes to monitor in the "Datalog Settings" section.