Temp input R0 dead

Get help and insight.
dwilenius
Bot?: No

Temp input R0 dead

Post by dwilenius »

Hi,

I have a BCS460 running with 4 temp inputs, one per vessel plus one for my plate chiller. My HLT input temp suddenly went dead after a couple years of no problems. It's similar to the post here:

http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.p ... e+r0#p7425

for which I dont see any resolution.

I've tried moving temp probes around and confirmed none work on that input. The HLT probe works on the other channels. I wired probes directly to the BCS with no connectors to ensure it's not a continuity issue and no change.

I've used the temperature calibration utility to see what was going on. r0 seems to be consistently putting out a value consistent with no probe connected. You can see comparison to disconnecting R1 here:

http://imgur.com/bjXCcEd

I tried resetting and reloading and even upgrading to the beta 4.0 release with no change.

Any ideas that I haven't tried? Can it be repaired?

Thanks for any thoughts you have.

Dave
oakbarn

Re: Temp input R0 dead

Post by oakbarn »

Have you moved the wire on the BCS itself?

Since you have verified the Probe:

If your bad temp is Temp 0, verify that all is well with temp 1. Switch Temp 0 and Temp 1 wires at the BCS itself. If Temp O is still bad and Temp 1 is still good, it would be the BCS itself. You would have to contact Brewers Hardware to see if it could be fixed.

If the issue follows the wire, then it is the wiring.
dwilenius

Post by dwilenius »

Yes, I wired probes directly into the green header connector for R0 and R1 with no difference. I'm quite certain it's not a connectivity issue.

Dave
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Probably the BCS then. You can contact Brewershardware and they may be able to help
losco70

Post by losco70 »

Hi, have you solved?
While I was entering the calibration values for my probe I accidentaly entered wrong values, Very Big numbers and The bcs temp input 0 stops working.
I try To restart The bcs after entering The right values, But The display always says 0.
Any suggestions?
Thank you
Luca
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

losco70 wrote:Hi, have you solved?
While I was entering the calibration values for my probe I accidentaly entered wrong values, Very Big numbers and The bcs temp input 0 stops working.
I try To restart The bcs after entering The right values, But The display always says 0.
Any suggestions?
Thank you
Luca
That's an interesting issue I've never seen reported. Do you have a backup of your config prior to making those changes? You could restore it to fix it.

If not, try backing up your BCS config file, then open it in a text editor and modify the bad value, then reload to the BCS.

Edit: I just tried changing some probes to some large values and I couldn't get the same behavior. I did get it to put 0 in when I used large exponents, but I was easily able to edit it back to the proper value.

I would run a backup of your config and look at the value there. Additionally, use the API URL's to inspect the values of the coefficients.
e.g. http://192.168.1.101/api/temp/0
(change the IP to your BCS IP and change the end digit to the corresponding temp probe.)
dwilenius

Post by dwilenius »

I never solved the problem with mine. I sold it to someone who only needed 3 temp inputs.
losco70

Post by losco70 »

Hi Jon,
I solved backing up and restoring the edited files with the original values. :D :D :D
Thank you