Normal temp probe fluctuations?

Get help and insight.
oakbarn
Bot?: No

Re: Normal temp probe fluctuations?

Post by oakbarn »

My last brew session, All my Temps were jumpimg + or - 6 degrees. Looked like some interference of some kind. I am in the process of rewiring regardless, but I am going to shield the cables better and move them away from the SSRs. I did a test with just one element, pump and probe and it was steady as a rock. Not sure what the issue was because it was odd as I had not been having any issues.

I may do some expirmenting with water to see if I can duplicate the issue. Right now I have no idea if I could get it to repeat.
pngaudioguy

Post by pngaudioguy »

These are the type of issues that make me want to have a dedicated, standalone PID backup, JonW...

The system doesn't have to completely die to be completely useless. +/- 6 degree fluctuations are 100% unacceptable in my book.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

pngaudioguy wrote:These are the type of issues that make me want to have a dedicated, standalone PID backup, JonW...
The system doesn't have to completely die to be completely useless. +/- 6 degree fluctuations are 100% unacceptable in my book.
You need to put this into perspective. Most users do not have 6 degrees swing in temperatures. So the question is, what is causing this? It's not the BCS by itself, but rather the way the system is wired and configured. It's not like oakbarn brews every other weekend and all of a sudden this issue cropped up out of the middle of no where. He's just getting going with his system and obviously something in the way it is wired is causing this issue. I don't care what system you're using, if you start mixing high voltage and low voltage wiring, you're going to get issues if you did not take care to keep thing isolated.

This really isn't much different from the networking world I've lived in for 25 years. You don't parallel networking or low voltage wiring with AC wiring. You only cross them at a 90 degree angles and you do it as few possible times as you can. When possible, you keep you low voltage and high voltage lines away from each other.

The unfortunate issue with a DIY system is not everyone knows the basic rules to follow. This leads to issues that affect performance that end users never knew existed. By its nature, DIY requires the end-user to move through a learning curve to understand nuances that can affect the ultimate performance of a product.

You can build in your PID backup if you wish, but once you have your system dialed in, the backup will become redundant and never needed.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I totally agree with John as this is "my" issue. I had the same problem with a Stand Alone PID when I had it plugged into the same circuit as my Freezer. I have had several brew sessison where nothing went haywire with the probes. It was also an "indication" error as the manual check of the temp did not see movement. The movement was was too "fast" to be real and my brew buddy thought it might be a sine curve ( a real indication of intererence). I did have M12 disconnects in the same box as my SSRs and that is likely not the best idea. I am in the process of totally re wiring for a couple of reasons. I put my SSRs way out of reach so no one could stick a finger in the box. It made it very hard to change anything or add new planned wiring so I am moving it. That is certainly not the fault of the BCS but mine.

I had started a Brew Session a couple days before the one I had an issue with and I "flooded" my Barn. After two GFIs tripped, I left the barn and decided to brew another day. The fact that I had electrical issues a couple of days before could have contributed to the movement. :oops:

I have had several brew sessions where the PID controlled my mash within a degree ( and I suspect it did the last one as well, just the guage was changing.) I would not discourage you from pulling the trigger. I know that I went the Single PID Route first and then decided that I really wanted the BCS, so I had double the cost. I find the BCS a great aid and the fact that you can program it vs a single PID (which you can but a PITA during a brew session). The visual interface (and even better with 4.0) is a god send on a brew day.

My brew buddy and I used to be running crazy on a brew day before we had the BCS. Now we sit back a smoke a cigar!

I brew with propane but just bought a "red-neck" hot tub heater (electric) that will heat the water in my Mash Tun to Strike in 6 hours (25 Gallons) . That means I can come in a prour the grain. I think it will cut 2 hours off the brew day. With the BCS, all I had to do was add a cheap SSR and run an Outlet. I now am "green" as I have a hybrid Brew Sysytem. :D