Dead BCS-460?

Get help and insight.
cripplecreek
Bot?: No

Dead BCS-460?

Post by cripplecreek »

Hi John,
I sent an email yesterday and figured I'd post here as well. I've had my bcs for a while now and was getting ready to set it up. I forgot the previous config I had put on it, so I attempted to reset the unit. Now it's completely non responsive. I thought maybe I wasn't hitting the reset so I took it out of the case to be sure. I get link lights on the Ethernet port, but it never gets a dhcp address. I've looked at the logs on my firewall (I have an IT background) and don't even see the request. I setup a software dhcp server and did a direct connection, still no luck. I'm going to try Wireshark. If that fails is there anything you can recommend? Can I sent it in for repair / warranty? I'm feeling dreadful that the unit is dead.
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Dead BCS-460?

Post by JonW »

How long are you holding the reset button. Different durations perform different resets.
cripplecreek

Post by cripplecreek »

I tried all three methods listed in the wiki. I changed ip address where applicable (on workstation, setup a tftpserver server with the ip listed in method 3 but never saw any requests) and didn't get and ping responses.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

If you're getting link lights on the ethernet connection, then it's not dead.

I would only do the 10 second reset so it goes to DHCP mode. Don't do direct connect. Put it on a router and reset there.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Forget any other Reset except the 15 Second Reset (10 to 20 in the Wiki).

Use a blunted toothpick and depress the button. You can feel it if you are careful. I suggest you have the BCS unpowered and try to feel for the button. It is very slightly up (maybe 2 degrees) with the BCS with the writing on top. Practice to you can feel the button.

Leave the ethernet cable plugged in as that will tell you that it is powered. The cable does not have to be installed but the lights let you know that the power is on. The lights are of little use other than power.

Use a timer. Depress the Reset Button for 15 seconds. The BCS must be powered on. Forget any other Hard Reset as they are not useful generally for an end user. This Resets the BCS to the factory defaults. (DCHP for IP)

You will need to connect to the BCS using a router. Direct Connections are very difficult. I personnally have never been able to do that.

You may use the BCS finder to find the address if it works. I have found it un reliable. It either works or not. If it does, it gives you the address.

If not, you may have to search.

You need to know the start point using the ipconfig command. Mine is 192.168.1.1. Another common one is 192.168.0.1 but I had one Router that started at 10.10.1.1 for some odd reason. Use IPConfig or another program to find the IP of your network.

If your network is 192.168.1.1 then you need to start searching with 192.168.1.2 then 192.168.1.3 then 192.168.1.4 and so on. You will find other devices like printers. It may take a while as I have found mine at 192.168.1.100. You need to search until you find it. This is a PITA but it is the only way I have found it. It could be any where from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254

Once you find it, I suggest that you set a Static IP in Sytem Setting and WRITE it DOWN. I suggest you set it to the one that was assigned.

If you ever do a firmware update, you may have to find it again.

It took me two weeks the first time I tried to connect and it can be very frustrating, but it is the issue of finding the assigned IP Address which is assigned by your router and has nothing to do with the BCS. The standard answer for the BCS Finder not working is your Router Settings. I have no idea why it works or not. Mine worked then did not. If I connect direct to a router have not set up a "network", the BCS finder works, When I go to my normal network, it does not. It did once upon a time, the stopped, so I have had to connect to my spare router then set a Static IP, or do the tedious search.

Likely the BCS is fine. Once you find the BCS and know "how" to connect, it is not the issue that it is when first connecting.

The Wiki is not realy a Wiki as no one may add or comment. If I could, I would remove anything except the 15 second (Called the 10 to 20 in the Wiki) and not even mention "Direct Connection".

You "must" use a Router to connect (No absolutely true but 99.999999% correct)
You should only do a 15 Second Reset. Alll other are not end user functions (No absolutely true but 99.999999% correct).
brahn

Post by brahn »

oakbarn wrote: If your network is 192.168.1.1 then you need to start searching with 192.168.1.2 then 192.168.1.3 then 192.168.1.4 and so on. You will find other devices like printers. It may take a while as I have found mine at 192.168.1.100. You need to search until you find it. This is a PITA but it is the only way I have found it. It could be any where from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254
The most common reason that the BCS Finder doesn't work is software on the PC (AV/Firewall) blocking the traffic. If it doesn't work there is an alternative that is easier than trying every IP address, although this method will certainly work. Log in to your router and it will tell you which IP addresses have been assigned via DHCP and to which devices. Look for the MAC address printed on the label of your BCS. AFAIK every router on the market will display this information somewhere, but every router is different. It may help to check the manual for your router.
oakbarn wrote: Once you find it, I suggest that you set a Static IP in Sytem Setting and WRITE it DOWN. I suggest you set it to the one that was assigned.
Please, do not set a static IP address on your BCS. This should be considered only for networking experts who really know why they want to set a static IP. The recommended configuration is to create a static DHCP lease on your router. This is simple to do and ensures that the BCS will always have the same IP address on your network, even after a firmware upgrade. Again, check the manual for your router if you're not sure how to set up a static DHCP lease.
cripplecreek

Post by cripplecreek »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all of the responses! I appreciate it. As I mentioned in my OP, I work in IT so I have a fairly advanced knowledge of IP networks. I've tried all three reset types listed in the wiki. I've done them using a stop watch. I've taken the BCS out of it's case it ensure I'm holding the button down. My DHCP lease table on the router never show an assignment to the BCS (method 1) I've changed static IP addresses and attempted to connect to the IP listed in method 2. I've changed static IP address and setup a TFTP server as described in method 3 and had no luck. I tested that the TFTP server was working by connecting to it from another host and grabbing the firmware file. I've finally just used wirshark on it and the BCS never even sends out a request for DHCP or any other sort of broadcast. I also used wireshark to attempt to find it's current IP address and nothing shows up. When I hold the the reset button the link / activity lights on the BCS never change, it seems like it never reboots. The orange link like stays solid, the green flashes periodically. I have not idea if it's a bad reset button? Or at this point if I've corrupted the firmware? Jon is there any way of sending it to you for a diagnosis? I'd pay shipping plus whatever fees you charge.

Thanks!
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Sending PM.