1st time wiring

Get help and insight.
Britishkiwi
Bot?: No

1st time wiring

Post by Britishkiwi »

Hi guys,

I hope you can help, I am just wiring up my BCS462 for the first time.
I have moved over to the 4.0 Beta 3 version, as I am using this BCS primarily for fermentation & really want to use it for 4 x fermentation chambers, so I require 8 x ouputs controlled by temp

I wired up the first SSR & am noticing that the SSR turns on when expected, but when I turn it off on the software, it doesn't switch off.
Expecting this to be a faulty SSR, I have tried it now with 4 other SSR's & have the same result (all SSR's tested with a battery & working as expected). I also tried it with some other outputs (currently tested 0-4)
I then expected a grounding issue, so have run the ground to both the BCS chassis & the metal case that the SSR's are currently sitting on & then to double check, I have also grounded this to house ground.
*SSR's are puck style 3-32VDC input switching 90-480VAC*

The wiring is extremely simple at present, BCS out0 to SSR+, SSR- to BCS grnd

I have a meter tester, but it isn't giving me typical readings see below:

With the outputs turned off, I get approx 8mv on output 0,1, approx 5mv on output 2 & approx 4mv on output 3
With the outputs turned on, I get 6.6v across the board.
my fixed 5v output shows 7.3v

The strange thing & the thing that makes me think it is a BCS problem is that when I have the output turned off, if I touch the SSR with my probe, it often switches the SSR on & shows me 6.6V running through it, then if I touch it again, it will turn off & show less than 1v.

As I am in New Zealand, the supplied PSU did not work, so I had to buy an off the shelf PSU. The one that I bought is rated for 9VDC 1.66a (could this be my problem?)

I have tried a number of hard resets (15s button push) & still no joy.
Hopefully someone out there has some advice :)
oakbarn

Re: 1st time wiring

Post by oakbarn »

I cannot comment on the power supply or the range of voltage for the BCS, but you may want to Google "countermeasures for leakage control of SSR".
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Do you have anything on the hot side of the SSR to pull a load (like plug in a light)? If you are just testing the SSR attached to the BCS with nothing on the other side, you will see sporadic results. The SSR's need a load on them to operate properly.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Ditto what BrianC stated. You need to attach a load to the SSR. Simply using a meter will show the SSR "leaking" current. That's just the way the SSR's work. Attach a 110V light or something to the output and switch it on and off. You'll see that it works.
Britishkiwi

Post by Britishkiwi »

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your quick responses.

I tried putting a light on the output & still the SSR was having trouble. I saw another post yesterday afternoon about someone else using a 9v power source & having the same issues. Swapped the power source this morning to a 6v 800ma & voila!

Cheers... now on with the metal work :)
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

You should ALWAYS use the power supply that came with the BCS. Glad it's working.