Wait For Input ver 4.0

Get help and insight.
oakbarn
Bot?: No

Wait For Input ver 4.0

Post by oakbarn »

Not sure quite where to ask this as 4.0 in still Beta.

The "Wait for Input" does not cause an Out to "quit" when a State is exited with the "Wait For Input" as the Next State. You really do not exit the state, but basically Continue the State until you do something. All Timers continue and All Outs that were ASSERTED are still ASSERTED. I am not sure of that logic.

It makes more sense to me that the State would act as it does in Pause. Prehaps another choice in the Next State would be "Pause" where the Process is Paused then you could have both logics.
That make logic to me. :D

I was trying to do something where the Mash State Exited and was "On Hold" with everything Off while I switched some valves. My elements and pumps continued to "run" and the Mash Continued. I was not ready for the next State until my manifold was set and I needed the element and pumps off.
oakbarn

Re: Wait For Input ver 4.0

Post by oakbarn »

I was redoing my Heat Strike Process and I see where the "Wait for Input" could work as it is.

I fill my HLT and MLT the night before. I have portable electric elements.

I program to heat the HLT to 170 degrees F and the MLT to my Strike. After the Temps reach desired state, the Next State is "Hold Strike". A "Hold Strike" Timer starts and after 1 second, the "Hold Stike" exits to "Wait for Input". My HLT and MLT maintain Temp. I come in the morning ready to put in the grain and the BCS has a flashing Yellow "Hold Strike" State and also lets me know the time it has held.

I accomplished this same logic before as I had no enabled Exit Condition with just a Green "Hold Strike" State. The only advantage is the Yellow flashing "Hold Stike" state on the UI.

In another sequence, I had wanted the Outs to cut off, so an exit (acts like Pause) that shuts off would still be on my wish list.
jimg@gsp

Post by jimg@gsp »

I just upgraded to 4.01 from 3.7.

I was previously maintaining my HLT temperature through a process that set the temperature and maintained it via PID. I had no exist condition, as I wanted to have that water readily available. To accomplish this I simply did not assign an exit condition and manually shut the element off when desired.

Reading your response here, I think that I could use the same logic that you describe. Set a 1 second timer and use Wait for Input to suspend the HLT water temperature indefinitely until I manually shut down the element. Advantage being the flashing yellow indicator.

Is this correct?
brahn

Post by brahn »

You can still set it up exactly like you had it before, with no exit condition and manually stop the process or turn off the element.

If you decide to add an exit condition that uses the "Wait for Input" exit state, the PID will continue to maintain the water temp but you will have a flashing yellow indicator and/or an alarm that will tell you that your HLT has reached it's setpoint temperature. You don't need to use a second "Hold" state unless you really want to.
jimg@gsp

Post by jimg@gsp »

Perfect. Thank you!