Outputs -- Stop when Process is running

Get help and insight.
gidi-up
Bot?: No

Outputs -- Stop when Process is running

Post by gidi-up »

When a process is running, why can you not stop/disable a Output?
outputs.png
outputs.png (25.63 KiB) Viewed 3961 times

For example, I am mashing in, timers going all is fine, then say there is a issue with my mill, I need to stop, the only way to stop this is to Stop the process.

Then when stopping the process all the timers are reset and now everything is off as you have to start over and then basically run the rest manually.

Another example is you are all Mashed in and it is time to run the pump for recirc but as luck has it a hose busts or a gasket leaks, now you have to kill the process.

NOW I know you can just flip the switch/breaker/unplug BUT you are in-front of the BCS screen and it is 1000 time faster to click and stop than run...

Jerry
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Outputs -- Stop when Process is running

Post by JonW »

Don't stop your process in those cases, use Pause instead. You can then press pause again to continue where you left off - all timers intact.

Also, you can't turn an output on/off if it is under process/state control. There is a hierarchy to output control. Manual control can be overridden by process control and process control can be overridden by ladder logic control. Additionally, higher numbered process can override outputs from lower number processes.
brahn

Post by brahn »

Right, what Jon said. Processes take priority over manual control.

There are some cases where I will manually control an output so that I can turn it off/on. Another option would be to use another state. For example, when I start lautering I have 2 pumps running. One for wort to the kettle and one for water to the mash. Later, I need to turn off the pump for water to the mash but keep the pump for wort to the kettle running. Instead of using 2 states, I just manually turn on/off the water pump.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I have found that a physical illuminated push button switch is worth a lot to me:

1. I can see a pump is powered.
2. I can manually control the pump even if it is under Process or Ladder Logic control.
3. I can shut off all power to the pumps when I am not brewing.

I recently re wired my brewery and added standard lighted switched to my Electric Element circuits as well for the same Manual control.

I find that I use the pump switches almost every brew session to prime. I like I can "see" that my pumps are powered and the same with the elements.

I turn off all of the switches when I am not brewing.
gidi-up

Post by gidi-up »

Pause, did not know the timers continued during that time, that was my biggest concern, as doing pause during a live session well something you do not test.

I do have a switch and breaker on each output but they can be 30-90 feet away and when you are in front of the PC, a mouse click is way faster than running on a wet floor :-)

Thanks

Jerry
brahn

Post by brahn »

gidi-up wrote:Pause, did not know the timers continued during that time
The timers will not continue to count while the process is paused, but they will resume counting where they left off when you resume the process.