7 segment display issue

Get help and insight.
JohnL
Bot?: No

7 segment display issue

Post by JohnL »

I am trying to wire up 4 7 segment displays to my bcs 460. Got them all working but they freeze and wont refresh the temp after a few seconds. When i disconnect 2 the 2 that are wired up seems to work fine. I can switch to other ones in pairs of 2 and they seem to work but any more than 2 they freeze up. The temps are registering on my computer but the displays freeze.

My wiring seems to be correct after searching for hours and they do start to work. I have a 12 v 1.2 amp power supply for them. Bcs 460 on current firmware. Have my 12v- to bcs gnd. Any suggestions? Possible that i need a bigger power supply? Seems to be adequate because it shows 150mA on brewers hardware site and I'm assuming that is for 1.
brahn

Re: 7 segment display issue

Post by brahn »

When you say current firmware, do you mean 3.7.1 or 4.0 beta 3?

I don't currently have 4 to test with, I may need to get more. I know we've gotten it to work with 8 displays on the 4.0 firmware, but I don't know that we've run it for any length of time in that configuration.

How long are the wires? Maybe some interference causing the signal to get corrupted?
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Sorry I have 3.7.1 on the bcs 460. The 1 cable from the bcs to the first pid is 24" then the other 3 are 6". I can possibly shorten the 24" cable or re work my panel to get it even shorter. Where can i get the 4.0 beta 3 firmware? I downgraded last night to 3.6 but same issue and then i was having issues flashing other firmware. Just want the pids to display through a brew day so 4 hours. Mine right now with 3 or 4 hooked up freeze after 5-10 seconds after i power up. Thanks!
brahn

Post by brahn »

The 4.0 beta is available from this post on the forum: http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2666

There are a couple known issues in the beta which will be resolved in a future release. Notably, there's an issue with the Minumum Pulse Width setting in PID mode, and the all stop button can cause DINs not to register as on. If those issues would impact you, you might want to stick with 3.7.1 for now, but you could at least try 4.0 and see if the displays work. You can always go back to 3.x.

I know there are several people on the forum who use 3 displays and have them running for extended periods of time to monitor fermenters/serving temps.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I'll check it out tonight thank you
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

brahn wrote:The 4.0 beta is available from this post on the forum: http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2666

There are a couple known issues in the beta which will be resolved in a future release. Notably, there's an issue with the Minumum Pulse Width setting in PID mode, and the all stop button can cause DINs not to register as on. If those issues would impact you, you might want to stick with 3.7.1 for now, but you could at least try 4.0 and see if the displays work. You can always go back to 3.x.

I know there are several people on the forum who use 3 displays and have them running for extended periods of time to monitor fermenters/serving temps.
So I put the 4.0 beta on and it still has the same problem of all of them starting to work and then freezing seconds after starting the system. I will see if I can shorten the cable from the bcs to the first pid display. hopefully that helps. if not maybe ill try them on the 462 and see if I get the same problems. Not sure what else to try other than other versions of firmware after rewiring. when you say 3.x, is there a specific version that i should try? it seems that the wiki doesnt have many of the versions of firmware anymore. The only ones I tried so far was 3.7.1, 3.7, 3.6 and 4.0 beta. Good news as it seems that everything else is wired up and functioning, bad news is I think I may have wasted about 200 bux on these displays if I can't get them to work right.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Same issue with a shorter cable (cut about 8 inches off). I can only get 2 to work at a time that refresh without freezing. 3-4 freeze up within 10 seconds of starting my panel. Still need to try the 462 but other than that not sure what else to try other than firmware versions.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Same issue with my bcs 462. Not sure what to do now. Bad displays? Bad cables? All bought from brewershardware. Just strange how they freeze seconds after startup when 3 or 4 are connected but seem to work fine when only 2 are connected. Any ideas or suggestions welcome, guess I'll just finish the wiring and deal with the displays later so I can get brewing again.
kwhizr

Post by kwhizr »

How are things working with these displays? I bought 3 in the spring and am now just getting to power on my system. Mine light up, display address info and then go dark. I haven't fired up my system yet to test all the way through but saw others having similar issues.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

They need to be attached to the BCS (and the BCS configured) to display anything. Otherwise they power up and do exactly as you described.