BCS Reset to default

Get help and insight.
mliptack
Bot?: No

BCS Reset to default

Post by mliptack »

I was planning on brewing today. I turned on my panel (which uses a DIN to enable the main system contactor). Everything worked fine.

I had a few notes from my last brew day of tweaks I wanted to make to my process steps, so I jump into the process editor and make a few changes, verify that the top of the page says "Changes are saved".

I finish hooking up all my soft plumbing, bleed the air out of my carbon filter, and head back to my laptop to start my first process.

I hit my first process step, which opens all my valves to flush the valve manifold, HX, and all lines with water... Nothing happened...

I tried a few things, nothing worked, I think I must have lost connection, then refreshed the page. It wasn't connecting. I still had access to the internet, and the green indicator light on the BCS network was blinking occasionally...

I turned the system key off, nothing happened, which is what I would expect if I were to loose network connectivity.

I cycled power to the BCS. And after a few minutes I was able to reconnect... but ALL my processes, steps, logic, output names, input names.... are all gone. Its factory default again. $hit.

Learned my lesson to make a backup every time I update the system. The only reason I haven't thus far, I just recently switched to 4.0 without issue and have just been tweaking my process steps - I wasn't quite happy with everything yet.

What could have caused this? I didn't touch anything inside of my control panel between the time I updated the processes and tried to start them.

I appreciate any feedback (Yes, I realize I should have backed it up...)

Max
JonW
Site Admin

Re: BCS Reset to default

Post by JonW »

What kind of items are being turned on in your initial states?

I ask because when I was using spark igniters, I would sometimes get issues with them that would cause wacky issues with the BCS. Random reboots, corrupted image, etc. I also get issues with my LED displays when my glycol AC kicks in since it is on the same circuit as my BCS/displays. Wondering if there's any items that could be causing your issues.
mliptack

Post by mliptack »

Thanks for the response Jon.

My initial state for my startup process opens a few 12v ball valves. It not until a few states in (after water level is high enough) that the first heating element turns on.

No process auto starts on power up. Only a few volt/amp displays, PIDs and LEDs are on following startup. (All valves closed).

It's funky that everything was working fine up to that point. I have fluorescent lighting in the garage, but that's off a different circuit entirely.

Thanks again! Cheers,

Max
mliptack

Post by mliptack »

Since I have already broached the subject, where does the BCS Backup save? I am using the backup utility, it has found the BCS, the green bar scrolls across, but it never asks where to save it.

Cant seem to find it in any logical places on my computer... As always, thank you for your help.

Cheers,
Max
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

By default, it goes to your "Downloads" folder (or wherever your browser is set to save downloads).
brahn

Post by brahn »

That's very strange. I've never seen a BCS reset to defaults randomly like that. Jon mentions some good potential causes.

Like Jon said, the backup works like a file download and ends up in your Downloads folder, or wherever you have your browser configured to save downloads. You can specify a different file name, but it will always go to that directory.
mliptack

Post by mliptack »

Thanks for the responses Jon & Brahn

I checked Safari, downloads are configured to go to my Downloads folder, however I still have nothing. I sorted by date created, name etc. with no luck.

Should I be getting any success messages or anything once the backup is complete?

Cheers!
Max
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

What does Safari do for you when you download other files? Once the backup completes, it's just like a completed download. Does Safari block some downloads?

Can you do a file search for bcs-backup.json? That is the file name it creates. For me, with Chrome, the files will automatically rename to bcs-backup(1).json and will increment for each new file, so you could have several backups sitting somewhere.

Trying Chrome is another option.
brahn

Post by brahn »

I just confirmed that it's not saving a file in Safari. I'm not sure what the issue is, there's no error message in the console associated with it. I'll need to do some testing to figure this one out. Sorry about that, using another browser for now should solve the issue.
mliptack

Post by mliptack »

Brahn,

Thanks for the feedback, I checked it on Firefox and it worked great.

I will be brewing today, and backing up after finishing all of my programming :) . Thank you both for all your help!

Cheers,
Max