4.0 upgrade problem/Mac

Get help and insight.
Jcc4507fly
Bot?: No

Re: 4.0 upgrade problem/Mac

Post by Jcc4507fly »

Any Mac users out there figure out how to update to 4.0??
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I'm not a Mac user, but a quick search shows that Mac has a built in TFTP server.
http://kb.promise.com/KnowledgebaseArticle10139.aspx
Jcc4507fly

Post by Jcc4507fly »

Well after researching how TFTP works, and playing around with this a lot, I finally got it working. I think my problem was a Permissions issue. However, not completely sure exactly what did it for me but here are a list of steps that I went through.

MAKE SURE TO BACK UP YOUR CONFIG FILES PRIOR TO UPDATE

Go to link at the bottom of the first post and download the attachment: BCS460.bin (Remember where you save this file to, we will use it later. I saved mine to my downloads folder.)
http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2730

Go to link and download TFTP Server, its free:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11116/tftpserver

Install Application, but no need to run the Application yet! We will come back to it after a few more config steps.

Once installed, Go to System Preferences>Security & Privacy>Firewall>Firewall Options>Click +>Select TftpServer (If your firewall is turned on this will allow TFTP to receive request from BCS.)I REMOVED TFTP SERVER FROM LIST ONCE UPDATE COMPLETED

Right-Click Finder>Go To Folder>/Private

Right-Click tftpboot>Get Info>Sharing & Permissions>Change ALL to Read & Write

Grab the file that we downloaded earlier titled "BCS460.bin" and move it into the tftpboot folder.

Open Application>TftpServer
Current Path should be set to /private/tftpboot
If it is not click in Current Path window and type /private/tftpboot
Then click Refresh Button at top of App window.
You should now see the file titled bcs460.bin listed within the window.
Also note the ip address that is to the right of current path window. This is your HOST COMPUTER'S IP.
Verify that Working Path Permissions and Parent folders permissions both have a green icon. If not click "fix".
Then up top left click "Start TFTP"

Now proceed to your browser. (I used Chrome)
Type the ip of your BCS.(If you dont know it there is a helpful iphone app called Fing.)
On top right proceed to Settings>Firmware upgrade>then type host computer ip address.
After a few minutes I refreshed my browser and was greeted by the new 4.0 UI!:rockin:

Don't forget to go and remove TFTP from your Firewall Options!

Thanks to everyone who contributed!
brahn

Post by brahn »

Thanks for posting the steps, I'm going to try this!
Jcc4507fly

Post by Jcc4507fly »

One thing I would like to add is that my router is setup with reservations for specific devices. Example my iPhone is assigned 192.168.0.100 by the router, BCS 192.168.0.15, iPad 192.168.0.25, etc. For a device that doesn't have a reservation or is "new" to the network, the router uses standard DHCP to assign an IP address. (Which is a temporary/dynamic IP address.) The nice thing about setting the router up with reservations is the device will ALWAYS have the same(static) IP address unless the router is reset. And you get to pick what address it will reserve for each device.

Depending on your specific network settings you may have to reconfigure your network settings on the BCS.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Jcc4507fly - Thanks for taking the time to do your write up on TFTP for the Mac. Totally agree with DHCP reservations - we always try to point people to doing it that way.
Jcc4507fly

Post by Jcc4507fly »

No problem. Seemed like a lot of people were in the same boat. I hope this at least helps a few people! I've had my fair share of help in brewing along the way. That's for sure!
Jcc4507fly

Post by Jcc4507fly »

brahn wrote:Thanks for posting the steps, I'm going to try this!
Any progress?
micky5752

Post by micky5752 »

I'm having the same issue... I have a Mac, and have no clue how to run the program.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

micky5752 wrote:I'm having the same issue... I have a Mac, and have no clue how to run the program.
I know brahn posted the link in your other thread, but I thought I'd post here in this thread in case someone else comes across this.

How to run TFTP on a Mac: http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.p ... 249#p10179