Processes Stop Randomly

Get help and insight.
globalbeer
Bot?: No

Processes Stop Randomly

Post by globalbeer »

Last week I upgraded my BCS-460 to the latest 4.0 firmware. I currently have the BCS controlling a Fermenter and a Bright Tank. Twice since the upgrade I have logged into the BCS, only to find that the processes were no longer active. This is troubling in that I cannot count on the controller to be left unattended.
Is anyone else having these problems?
Is there a bug in the Ver 4.0 that causes this?
Am I missing a setting to enable processes that last days instead of hours?
brahn

Re: Processes Stop Randomly

Post by brahn »

This is not normal, the processes should run until they are manually stopped or an exit condition stops them.

I'd need to know more about your setup. Could the BCS have lost power? Are the processes set to run on startup? Are there any exit conditions set on your processes?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

There are many here using the BCS for fermentation and other issues that run non-stop for months. There are no known issues with the BCS performing resets. If it is resetting, than there is likely an external issue causing it. On my fermentation system, I have an AC unit plugged into the same outlet as my BCS and every once in a while, when the AC kicks on, I'll get a reset. On brew systems, using spark igniters are often something that causes resets. Take a look at what is plugged into the same outlet as the BCS to see if there could be something that could be causing the issue. Less likely but also possible is that there is an issue with the BCS power supply.

If you are using the BCS for fermentation control, make sure the processes are set to auto-run on startup. This way even if you do get a reset, it will continue right on with that process and the stored setpoints. You would lose timer values, but usually that's not an issue with fermentation.

I have an on/off/on toggle switch on my control panel in the garage that also forces my fermentation process to a specific state when it starts. The switch allow me to toggle it for fermentation/off/crash cool, and if the controller were to restart, it would jump to the proper state based on that switch.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

JonW wrote: I have an on/off/on toggle switch on my control panel in the garage that also forces my fermentation process to a specific state when it starts. The switch allow me to toggle it for fermentation/off/crash cool, and if the controller were to restart, it would jump to the proper state based on that switch.

As Jon said, I have had my BCS running for a few months and I have not seen a single reset that I did not cause myself. I did wire my BCS that it is the only thing on the Circuit as some protection for me.

But to steal the thread :roll: , Jon, is the on/Off Toggle a One Shot Din that is setup as an exit contion on the Run at Startup Process?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

oakbarn wrote:But to steal the thread :roll: , Jon, is the on/Off Toggle a One Shot Din that is setup as an exit contion on the Run at Startup Process?
I use two DIN's for input and those are used as exit conditions.
State 0 = Fermenter Off, exit to state 1 (Fermenter Chill) when Din 1 On or exit to state 2 (Ferm Crash Cool) when Din 2 On.
State 1 = Fermenter Chill, exit to state 0 when Din 1 off
State 2 = Ferm Crash Cool, exit to state 0 when Din 2 off

The Din "One shot" option makes no difference for this programming.