Problem with Mini/Nano Routers

Get help and insight.
micky5752
Bot?: No

Problem with Mini/Nano Routers

Post by micky5752 »

Has anyone else encountered a problem getting the BCS to connect to Mini/Nano Routers?

I first purchased at TP-Link and to no avail, I couldn't get it to connect to the router via ethernet. It would constantly show my Macbook as a client, but through multiple instances of Hard Resets I couldn't get the device to recognize the MAC address.

I took it an hooked it up to my Dark Knight ASUS router, and bam, it fired right up. So I deemed that the TP-Link needed an update, did it, and it fried it, I think?

So I got on Amazon and ordered a HooToo Tripmate Nano, figuring on the reviews being better than the TP-Link, that it would do a better job. I hooked it up this morning and nothing. The only client it sees is my Macbook.

Am I going about this in the wrong way somehow? Should I changing the settings to Access Point or something along those line? This is the only thing that is holding me up from finally getting my stand up and ready to roll, and I'm becoming a defeated man.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Brian
Broph

Re: Problem with Mini/Nano Routers

Post by Broph »

You'd be better off using something like a D-Link Powerline adapter (http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Systems-Po ... +powerline) . I've tried many wireless adapters (Apple Airport Express, Dlink wireless routers,etc), and they worked intermittingly - but the powerline works ALL the time.
Thomas Brophy
AleForce Homebrewery
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

micky5752 wrote:So I got on Amazon and ordered a HooToo Tripmate Nano, figuring on the reviews being better than the TP-Link, that it would do a better job. I hooked it up this morning and nothing. The only client it sees is my Macbook.
I just looked at the specs for this HooToo on Amazon and it states: The Ethernet port can only be used as a WAN input port. That means you can't attach a device to the ethernet port as a client. I agree with Broph's suggestion on the powerline adapters - there is nothing to configure and they work well.
brahn

Post by brahn »

I'm currently using this TP-Link portable router to connect my BCS when I'm brewing: http://amzn.com/B007PTCFFW

You just have to connect it to the wireless network and put it in the right mode. I forget what they call the mode, but the setup was pretty simple. I've also used this Netgear wireless bridge with good success: http://amzn.com/B003KPBRRW
micky5752

Post by micky5752 »

I greatly appreciate you looking into it. I checked this out on the manual, I'm gonna give it one last go when I get home just to see if maybe something will happen, I hope! If not, I guess I'll get on Amazon and order my THIRD router lol
Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 3.48.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 3.48.50 PM.png (249.8 KiB) Viewed 4771 times
What information would it be receiving different from the BCS than it would from a router to send a signal via Ethernet?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

micky5752 wrote:I greatly appreciate you looking into it. I checked this out on the manual, I'm gonna give it one last go when I get home just to see if maybe something will happen, I hope! If not, I guess I'll get on Amazon and order my THIRD router lol

What information would it be receiving different from the BCS than it would from a router to send a signal via Ethernet?
Per the manual screen shot you posted: "Plug a network cable from a well-established router to TripMate".

You don't want a router, you need a bridge device. The port on the HooToo only connects to an upstream router for the purpose of routing data between the wireless LAN and the hardwired WAN (two different networks). Plugging a client device like the BCS or even a PC into the wired port on the HooToo will not work. A bridge device makes the wired and wireless devices all appear on the same LAN segment (not separate LAN and WAN like the HooToo). Some devices can be configured both ways (either a bridge or a router), but the HooToo does not appear to support this.

If you look at the description of the TP-Link that brahn posted, you can see that it specifically states that it supports client and bridge modes.
TP-LINK TL-WR702N Wireless N150 Travel Router, Nano Size, Router/AP/Client/Bridge/Repeater Modes, 150Mbps, USB Powered
micky5752

Post by micky5752 »

Ahh... I see now! I appreciate it.

I'll just return this then, unless I find a reason to have it around the house to help the signal.

I just wonder what I should do with the TP-Link then, I downloaded an update specifically for it and it will not connect to the computer now. My Mac Wifi signal meter keeps cycling. I know I should probably just contact the company, but you know how that goes. If I do get it going, all I have to do is set it up with Client Mode? Is that what I was to take from the information you provided. And that being the reason I couldn't get it to connect before when I tried?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Yes, you would use client mode.