Cant connect at all to BCS 460

Get help and insight.
wyowolf
Bot?: No

Cant connect at all to BCS 460

Post by wyowolf »

Powered up for the first time, hard connected to my old laptop.
nothing, went through all the setup for IP address... Ping the IP , nothing...
Orange light is on, and green data light sometimes flickers...
on and off several times... nothing, lights come on, but I get nothing from it...
any help greatly appreciated.

Frank
wyowolf

Re: Cant connect at all to BCS 460

Post by wyowolf »

I eventually figured this out...the IP was not the one listed.. its 192.168.0.100
koey10

Post by koey10 »

I am having a similar problem.
New BCS 462 out of the box. First time plugging in the cable direct to the computer. Try to find it with the finder utility, both the old and new since i do not know which i have, and i get nothing. I tried the default address and that doesn't return anything. I see a few lights blinking near the Ethernet port on the BCS. I hard reset for 20+ seconds. That did not seem to help either.
Any help would be appreciated.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Don't do a direct connect. Plug it into your router!
brahn

Post by brahn »

JonW wrote:Don't do a direct connect. Plug it into your router!
Yes, this. You should have the latest firmware which means it wouldn't matter, but just in case I would suggest holding the reset for 15s to reset to defaults. Then plug it into your router.
koey10

Post by koey10 »

Thanks guys, worked after connecting to a router. I am very grateful, and so is the wall i have been punching.
Since it was running 3.7, i decided to update the firmware before i did anything else. The TFTP thing worked after upgrading to Chrome. I saw the file transfer and then disappear. The BCS has not reset yet. Do I wait, or close the browser and try to connect again? The browser now says BCS not connected and is tryng every 20 seconds, with lots of fails.
Thanks in advance.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Use the 4.0 Finder to locate the BCS. Your router may have given it a new IP address after the update. You can also unplug the BCS to restart it.

Firmware updates and restart normally take less than a minute.
koey10

Post by koey10 »

Again, thank you. Works great.
TheSonofHops

Post by TheSonofHops »

I've tried everything I can think of to not be "that" guy, but I'm now at a loss. I've connected a BCS-460 to a wireless router. There is a solid orange light and an intermittent green (3-5sec between blinks). The router is setup for DHCP giving out addresses on the 10.10.10.x (255.255.0.0) range. Unable to find the BCS using the finder utility. If I run an ip scan app (angry ip scanner or fing) the green light is very active. The BCS never shows up though. Thoughts? More than happy to provide more information as needed.

Thanks,

Matt
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

TheSonofHops wrote:I've tried everything I can think of to not be "that" guy, but I'm now at a loss. I've connected a BCS-460 to a wireless router. There is a solid orange light and an intermittent green (3-5sec between blinks). The router is setup for DHCP giving out addresses on the 10.10.10.x (255.255.0.0) range. Unable to find the BCS using the finder utility. If I run an ip scan app (angry ip scanner or fing) the green light is very active. The BCS never shows up though. Thoughts? More than happy to provide more information as needed.

Thanks,

Matt
Have you ever been able to connect to the BCS or is this fresh out of the box?

Have you done a hard reset on it?

Is it running 3.x or 4.x firmware? You must use the appropriate Finder utility depending on firmware version.

Is the router your primary router or is this a bridge type setup (e.g. extending your network)?

Is your computer getting a DHCP address from this router in the same IP range?