BCS 460 Build help

Get help and insight.
wyowolf
Bot?: No

BCS 460 Build help

Post by wyowolf »

I just finished wiring up a panel using these plans. I have been checking and am nearly certain that my wiring is correct, however I will keep checking...
If someone could go over these and make sure they are correct.
its a simple eBIAB system with one pump and one element.

here are my issues...
When I first powered up the panel without anything attached, element or pump, the main contactor and the element contactor came on as did all the lights. Since the SSR wasnt on only 120V was to the element itself.
I unhooked all the BCS connections, and now when I start the panel, only the master light comes on. However when i switch the element ON , ALL the lights come on again?
Does the +5V on the BCS always stay hot?
Any tips appreciated...
Attachments
BIAB - BCS - 30a -wires-bcs.pdf
(234.61 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
BIAB - BCS - 30a.compressed.pdf
(222.92 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
JonW
Site Admin

Re: BCS 460 Build help

Post by JonW »

Yes, the 5V output is always on. Additionally, the OUT ports are 5V switched when those outputs turn on. Whatever the block items you are feeding with 5V, it looks like you are feeding it with a constant 5V and a switched 5V, but no ground.

If you'd label those items and provide some specs on them, it would be easier to tell you what's going on. Are they contactors, mechanical relays or SSR's? What is the coil voltage and current draw of them? If they're not SSR's, then you likely need an external power supply to power them. However, without having any specs on them, it's hard to say.
wyowolf

Post by wyowolf »

there is a ground diagram the 4th one, BCS control wiring.
The Out 0 goes to the bottom of the element switch then through the switch to the + of the element SSR.
The Out 4 goes to the bottom of the water pump switch the same way to the + of that SSR.
is it ok for the 120v and the 5v to be on the same posts?

The contactors are the 63 amp ones from E brew supply.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

wyowolf wrote:there is a ground diagram the 4th one, BCS control wiring.
Got it - it is the 4th page of the second diagram.
wyowolf wrote:The Out 0 goes to the bottom of the element switch then through the switch to the + of the element SSR.
The Out 4 goes to the bottom of the water pump switch the same way to the + of that SSR.
OK, now I see that those are switches. They're not labeled as such, so I had no idea what you were doing there. Are those two position or three position switches? I'll take a guess that they are 3 position (on/off/auto) since you're bridging the output of the constant 5V and Out0 5V to the SSR.
wyowolf wrote:is it ok for the 120v and the 5v to be on the same posts?
EEK!! What? Are you asking if you can wire them to the same terminal together? If so, stop right there and get some help from someone that understands electrical wiring! If that's not what you mean, then you need to ask the question differently.
wyowolf wrote:The contactors are the 63 amp ones from E brew supply.
You've still not told me anything about the contactors voltage and current specs. (edit: in looking at your wiring diagram, it appears they are high voltage contactors, so the driving voltage/current is irrelevant)

I'm not trying to denigrate you, but in order to give you accurate advice, I need to know more about what you're doing here. The drawings do not specifically call out what certain connections are and you've not thoroughly described them, so I can only guess as to what is going on. Guessing with high voltage current is not a good thing to do.

Going back to your original post, you said:
wyowolf wrote:However when i switch the element ON , ALL the lights come on again?
Do you mean when you switch the output on via the BCS or when you use the manual switch to turn it on?

I'm guessing that there is a wiring error here somewhere. Posting detailed pictures of your wiring would probably be best to get another set of eyes on it. I know I can look at something I did and swear it is correct and not see it right in front of me.
wyowolf

Post by wyowolf »

wyowolf wrote:
is it ok for the 120v and the 5v to be on the same posts?

EEK!! What? Are you asking if you can wire them to the same terminal together? If so, stop right there and get some help from someone that understands electrical wiring! If that's not what you mean, then you need to ask the question differently.
that is the way the diagram is drawn up. I didnt draw it... but it seems wrong to me.

Look at the 120v diagram, and then the BCS diagram 120v comes from the NC side of the E stop down to the bottom of both switches. But so does the BCS outs 0 and 4 as well as +5v. the Outs are on the bottom left, the +5v on the bottom right of each switch.

Yes they are 3 way switches. Auto Off On

I mean with the BCS totally disconnnected and i switch the element to ON then ALL the lights come on.

http://www.ebrewsupply.com/shop/interna ... actor.html
this is the contactors I used, one for MAIN power in... and One for Element.

I can take a pic no problem, but now its a little messy, since i had everything all neat, then i had to cut the ties to trace each wire but will take apic this evening when i get home...

hope that helps... and THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

wyowolf wrote:that is the way the diagram is drawn up. I didnt draw it... but it seems wrong to me.
If you have already wired both the 120V and 5V to the same terminal and powered it up, there is a very real chance that your BCS has sustained damage.

I would suggest unplugging the green terminal strips from the BCS and powering it up by itself while also connected to your network. I would then measure the output voltages on the OUT terminals as you switch them on via the browser. You need to know if the BCS is working or not. I would then do testing on the control panel without the BCS connected to ensure you can manually turn things on and off with the 3 way switches. If there is still a problem in the panel, it needs to be corrected before the BCS is added back into the mix.
wyowolf

Post by wyowolf »

Yes i did power it up. I did access the BCS and it seemed to work ok. But will double check. Yes i should have realized this first. Its disconnected now.
wyowolf

Post by wyowolf »

I should mention that Ryan at e brew supply drew this and where i purchase the bcs. I did write to him but haven't gotten a response.
wyowolf

Post by wyowolf »

Ok just confirmed that it IS ok, I can go in and switch them on and off and I get 4.9v at each one.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Jon, Should he have Diodes on the Outs and 5v so as not to back feed the BCS?