BCS460- In over my head

Get help and insight.
Evertybrew
Bot?: No

BCS460- In over my head

Post by Evertybrew »

Hello,

First I have to say, this is not my area of expertise and I am technically lost in trying to get this thing to work.

So I purchased a used BCS-460 and have been rebuilding my control panel to include the BCS unit and functions. When I first got it I was able to walk through the start up procedure and get the IP address assigned and able to pull up on my screen through my wireless network.

I saw that there was a new firmware upgrade and figured that I should do that before my first brew day with it. No understanding anything at all about how a TFPT server works, I think I messed up my BCS unit somehow. I do not believe that the new firmware was ever actually loaded and now my BCS unit done nothing. I plug into the wireless router and the lights flash green, but I cannot for the life of me get an IP address from the BCS.

I tried the hard reset 10 sec, 20sec, 30 sec.
I tried using the BCS finder and cannot get anything to show up
I looked in the main router and there is not an IP address
I plugged into the PC to see if somehow I could figure out how to connect to it

Ive been messing with this for 3 days now and am about to give up...

Did I somehow wipe the entire BCS unit or something. Is there a way that I can get the firm ware loaded without ding the TFTP thing?

I am completely out of my element here and I have no clue what I am doing. I don't know where else to turn, Any advice to thoughts to direct me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tyler
brahn

Re: BCS460- In over my head

Post by brahn »

TFTP is the only option for upgrading the firmware. If you had a file other than the BCS firmware image with the name bcs460.bin in your TFTP directory, you may have overwritten the firmware with that file. If that's the case you'll need to send it back to get it re-flashed. The ethernet lights coming on suggest that the firmware is probably still there.

Everything other than the 10s reset is really a waste of time and usually makes the BCS harder to find. The longer resets have been removed from the latest version of the firmware. I would unplug it, wait a few minutes, plug it back in, do a 10s reset (aim for 15s), then put it back on your network and check your router/BCS Finder again. Plug it directly into your router to eliminate any other possible issues.
Evertybrew

Post by Evertybrew »

Damn, thanks Brahn.

I did what you said "I would unplug it, wait a few minutes, plug it back in, do a 10s reset (aim for 15s), then put it back on your network and check your router/BCS Finder again. Plug it directly into your router to eliminate any other possible issues." and the IP address showed back up. Im glad that I posted or I would still be trying to figure out what to do. It seems like an easy fix or stupidity on my part, but thanks again.

Cheers!

Tyler
brahn

Post by brahn »

Glad that worked!