Trouble Boiling

Get help and insight.
profilms
Bot?: No

Trouble Boiling

Post by profilms »

I just got my system up and running on a BCS 462. I have 30 gallon Mega Pots with a 5500W Heating Element on 220v. I am doing a water test and wanted to see how long a boil would take. 25 gallons of water and I maxed temp out at 207f on the BCS, My temp probe in the pot said 210f and wouldn't go any higher. I set the BCS to heat to 215F on a PID control. Any advice? I would hate to have to put another element in my boil kettle.
Attachments
BCS BOIL TEST.png
BCS BOIL TEST.png (51.31 KiB) Viewed 2929 times
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Trouble Boiling

Post by JonW »

Hopefully some more experienced electric brewers chime in here, but I think you'll need more than 5500 watts for 25 gallons. Your chart shows that it took almost two hours to get to over 200. That's an awful long time.
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

I cannot think of ANY reason to use PID for a boil... you need to change to duty cycle and maybe 50-75% will create a nice boil...

to prevent boilovers, you can implement several states, your temps and % power levels may vary

directly on until 207
50% power for 20 min
75% power for regular boil
BrunDog

Post by BrunDog »

First, would run it full on (no PID, no Duty, just ON). Make sure the element is putting out full power. Use an ammeter and measure that the element is drawing the full 23-ish amps. Perhaps the SSR is not working or the element is bad - need to confirm this first.