Having trouble connecting through the router

Get help and insight.
jmurm
Bot?: No

Having trouble connecting through the router

Post by jmurm »

I have a bcs 462 and have been using it directly connected to one of my old computers for a while. I got a long cat 6 cable to connect it to my router now. I turned off bcs then connected to the apple router. When I search for it with the bcs finder it doesn’t find anything. I have manually typed in numbers to find it but still nothing. The router ip address is 10.0.1.1

After I can’t find anything I plug it back into my computer and bcs pops up right away at its default ip address 169.254.0.63. So I went in and changed the BCS ip to 10.0.1.20 and the subnet to the same as my routers. The lights are green on my bcs and also my router, but I still cannot connect. And bcs finder cannot find it.

Now I can’t connect at all. So I do a hard reset for 15 seconds and can connect back to its original 169.254.0.63. But it still will not link up with my router… Is my router not assigning it an ip address? Any direction would be appreciated as i am not a network guy!
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Having trouble connecting through the router

Post by JonW »

I suggest not hard coding an IP address into the BCS. After doing the reset, it will be configured to use DHCP. If your router is set to assign addresses, it will pick one up without issue.

When you are using the BCS locator, are you on 3.x firmware or 4.x? You must use the specific locator program for which firmware version you are on as they are not compatible.
jmurm

Post by jmurm »

I did try to do the hard reset and still no luck with it. I believe i have the older firmware so i will try it later today. Where do i find the 3x firmware and the 4x firmware? I used the wiki find my bcs utility.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

4.x firmware is available here: http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2730

Use the link to the docs and the 4.x finder link is included in there.

For people doing port forwarding through their router, I've found that they often don't have the default gateway set in the BCS. In your previous message, you said you had it direct connected to your PC and then you moved it to being connected to the router. Did you change the default gateway at that point? In a direct connect situation, you can either leave the default gateway empty or set it to the IP address of the PC. Once you hook the BCS to your LAN and want to access it remotely, you need to set the default gateway to the router.

If you use the DHCP settings from your router to assign the address to the BCS, then it should also get the default gateway setting automatically. This is the reason we always suggest just using DHCP from the router and let it assign everything.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Just in case it was not clear, the BCS Finder comes in 2 versions.

1. for Pre 4.0 firmware
2. for 4.0 firmware (http://docs.embeddedcc.com/finder/)

If you were using the old finder and had upgraded to 4.0, you would not find the BCS.