BCS 460 test help

Get help and insight.
oakbarn
Bot?: No

Re: BCS 460 test help

Post by oakbarn »

I found a great Boil Correction tool :D >

http://www.csgnetwork.com/h2oboilcalc.html

You can use the barometric pressure (which the Altitude adjustments WAG) to calculate the Boil Point of the day (which does vary).

You can get the barometric pressure by looking up the METAR of your local nearest airport. (aviationweather.gov)

This can be important if you are rying to do Calibrations.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I went to use the Calibration Utility and have my probes set at the defaults.

I tested Probe 0 in a Hot water bath at 158 degrees F (checked with Thermapen exactly at 158.0), my Probe read 158.0! :shock: No need for Calibration. I will be checking my others in a couple of weeks but I suspect they will all be spot on.

I use Probe 0 for my Mash. Most others are not as critical as I have yet to set up my fermentation.
wyowolf

Post by wyowolf »

I agree, I set my gauge and thermapen to 150 and now both are dead on, verified here at work. I re ran my test the other day and at 150 with the defaults I was right on, water still boils at 207 but I guess it really doesnt matter, I already know im accurate at 150 which is where it matters.

Strangely both the gauge and the thermapen agree on boil... at 1000ft I should be at 210, but like I said, boil is boil...
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Look at my reply above. Adjusting for altitude is actually a guess. Boil is truly adjusted for pressure. At sea level that is 29.92. Regardless of altitude, pressure of 29.92 will boil same as sea level.