BCS 460 test help

Get help and insight.
wyowolf
Bot?: No

BCS 460 test help

Post by wyowolf »

I finally got a chance to hook everything up and test out my new toy. I went straight to manual mode and set my temp at 170 to see how it would act. It heated up pretty fast, but once it got to 170, it just kept climbing?? will include a screenshot to let you know. I tried a few different setting but none of them seemed to matter, it was either off or on 100% im sure its something im not doing right...

My set up is very simple just a BIAB so i only have one element to control, with one temp prob.
wyowolf

Re: BCS 460 test help

Post by wyowolf »

pic
Attachments
BCS.jpg
BCS.jpg (133.03 KiB) Viewed 5467 times
wyowolf

Post by wyowolf »

Ok after fighting with worthless Win10 I finally got it updated!!
Wow... it looks totally different from the other one...

couple questions.

1. How do you set boil? I didnt have any trouble setting a Mash temp and holding it, but when I got to boil, it only reach appx 207 and was boiling. I was using Hysterisis mode, maybe that isnt the best mode?

2. Temp Coefficients? The ones that were printed out in the box with my BCS are different than the values listed? Should I change them?
I brought my temp gauge to work and will calibrate it here at 150 degrees. It was about 2 degrees behind my BCS Temp Probe reading.

3. Since Win 10 is a worthless piece of (&*^! I have no wifi now. I ran a hardline to my router and was able to access it that way. I have a iMac upstairs that I can use that has wifi, but when I went to the site that has the bcs finder, clicking on the mac open just opens a dead link?? I tried the default IP, the old IP and the IP when it was in the router, none of them work? My BCS was on its own mini router before and had no issues connecting to my Samsung View, but Idoubt i can use it to use the BCS finder...
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

wyowolf wrote:1. How do you set boil? I didnt have any trouble setting a Mash temp and holding it, but when I got to boil, it only reach appx 207 and was boiling. I was using Hysterisis mode, maybe that isnt the best mode?

If you are off that far (and you're at normal elevations), then you need to calibrate your temp sensor. There's a sticky here in the forum on how to do that. http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10

Hysteresis mode is fine for hitting a setpoint, but for an electric element in your boil, you will likely want to use the duty cycle control. The reason for that is the duty cycle is like a dimmer switch. If your boil is too aggressive at 100%, you can set a lower output value like 70% to maintain a good boil, but not have a boil-over. If your element is only moderately powered, you may be able to use it at 100% just fine. You'll have to experiment with your own system to find the right level - which is why the duty cycle is the best for an electric boil situation.
wyowolf wrote:2. Temp Coefficients? The ones that were printed out in the box with my BCS are different than the values listed? Should I change them? I brought my temp gauge to work and will calibrate it here at 150 degrees. It was about 2 degrees behind my BCS Temp Probe reading.

The default coefficients have been updated from the 3.x firmware to the 4.x firmware. In the early days of the BCS, the temp sensors were sourced differently and required different coefficients. The Brewers Hardware supplied coefficients are what show in the 4.x BCS version as the defaults. If you have sourced your temp probes from somewhere else, then yes, you will need to use those coefficients. The difference in the coefficients is likely accounting for the boil temp at 207 that you are seeing.
wyowolf wrote:3. Since Win 10 is a worthless piece of (&*^! I have no wifi now. I ran a hardline to my router and was able to access it that way. I have a iMac upstairs that I can use that has wifi, but when I went to the site that has the bcs finder, clicking on the mac open just opens a dead link?? I tried the default IP, the old IP and the IP when it was in the router, none of them work? My BCS was on its own mini router before and had no issues connecting to my Samsung View, but I doubt i can use it to use the BCS finder...

Yes, the mac finder link is broken, use this link: http://www.embeddedcc.com/finder/BCS%20 ... %20Mac.zip
wyowolf

Post by wyowolf »

Ok thank you that makes sense.

I brought my gauge here to work and it dead accurate at 150 now. was 2 degrees. Surprisingly my Thermapen was dead accurate!

Ok will update the temp probe numbers to what is printed out. I am in Atlanta, so google tells me 210.9 is boiling temp
Both the BCS and the temp probe were from E brew supply, as was most of the panel components.

thanks for the new link!!
wyowolf

Post by wyowolf »

Hmmm ok went back to put in the numbers provided. Now my temp readings are about 10 points high per my gauge and thermapen??

I read through the calibrate page... not exactly sure where I should be taking the resistance readings...

going to revert back to the original readings... they were much closer.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Yes, it could be clearer in that thread on how to get the resistance.

You can directly read the resistance for any probe via the API functions: http://192.168.1.102/api/temp/0
Substitute your own BCS IP address and change the 0 on the end to 1, 2 etc. for which probe you are trying to read.

Additionally, one of the forum members wrote a utility that helps facilitate all this: http://bbrally.from-ca.com/
wyowolf

Post by wyowolf »

{"name":"Temp Probe 0","temp":1548,"setpoint":1550,"resistance":1862,"enabled":true,"coefficients":[0.0011371549,0.0002325949,9.5400029999e-8]}

temp is currently 155 per the gauge and thermapen
wyowolf

Post by wyowolf »

ok when I run the ulitity and get the ABC do i use those numbers as is?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Yes, but you need to calibrate at 3 different temps. You ideally want to use temperatures that are within your normal range of usage. E.g. 70, 140, 210. Get water to your selected temps or close and using your thermapen, measure the temp to put into the coefficient calculator. After doing temps at the 3 samples, you can then use the ABC coefficients for that probe.