v4.1 - Alarm When Exiting State

Get help and insight.
oakbarn
Bot?: No

Re: v4.1 - Alarm When Exiting State

Post by oakbarn »

The Alarm works fine.

You have to ask this question about "Alarms".

Do I need to do something?

If you need to do something, set the Alarm to Loop. A hop Drop is a good example as to "I must do something'".

If you do not need to do anything, the question is "Do I want a clue but it does not matter if I miss it".

Then Set the Short Alarm. I rarely use this myself. I normally do not care what State the BCS is in unless I need to do something (loop Alarm).

I would set about a Minute if your want to Test your alarms. I also normally have the Exit set to "Next State" which is a DIN Set to One Shot that I must click a toggle AFTER completeing my manual task. I do sometimes jump to the next State upon a Timer. Again, a Hop Drop is a Good example.

State 0= Heat to Boil
Out 16 BK Element = Duty Cycle - 100
Exit = BK Temp = 210
Alarm = Short
Who cares: I have Started my Boil Timer and will be alerted when I need to drop my hops.
State 1: Boil
Timer 0 = Boil = On Count Up
Exit Timer 0 = 00:30:00
Out 16 BK Element = Duty Cycle - 65
Alarm - Loop
Maunually Drop my Bitter Hops
State 2: Flavor Hop Drop
Timer 0 = Boil = On Count Up Continue
Exit Timer 0 = 01:15:00\
Out 16 BK Element = Duty Cycle - 65
Alarm - Loop
Maunually Drop myFlavorHops
State 3: End Boil
Timer 0 = Boil = On Count Up Continue
Exit Timer 0 = 01:30:00
Out 16 BK Element = Off
Alarm - Loop

On State 3, while I really have to do nothing if I am just sitting there, I want to positively know that the boil is over. If I set there for a while, no big deal, but I should start the cooling.
jimg@gsp

Post by jimg@gsp »

Thanks for the reply.

I don't completly understand your DIN explanation. I think the toggle would be very useful for me as well.

Can you further explain how this is accomplished?

"I also normally have the Exit set to "Next State" which is a DIN Set to One Shot that I must click a toggle AFTER completeing my manual task."

Thanks again for you time.

PS
I have found your 4.0 documentation very helpful. Thanks for your efforts.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Basically, I have wired a DIN to a toggle switch. It could have been a Push Button momentary switch as well. I think it would actually be a better choice as I have to cycle the Toggle Back Off to Reset it. Regardless, I have the Exit Condition to advance to the next State using the DIN switch.

You have to setup the DIN in Settings and it must be One Shot to work properly.

You wire the switch where one leg is on the 5 vdc on the BCS and the other to a DIN. Make sure all power is off when doing any wiring of your switch or the BCS itself.

I have several States that use the "Next State" switch to advance. If you are using "Wait for Input", this is a handy way to jump to the next state without having to use your computer. You could accomplish the same thing with the interface by simply clicking on the state,but my computer is normally in a seperate room. I use Chromecast to put the UI on a Big Screen in my Brewery and use my DIN switch Panel to manually change states.

Some examples of States where I do this.

I have a State where I heat the Strike Water to Strike Temp. I use no Alarm and when Temp = Strike I have an Exit set as "Wait For Input" This is normally done while I am sleeping. I wake up and come into the Brewery. I click my "Next State" and my Next State is
Grain IN: I manually add the Grain. When I am Done, I click the Toggle.
Alarm=None
Exit = "Next State" Din = On
Next State is: Vorloff
Vorloff: I manually Vorloff the MLT. When I am Done, I click the Toggle.
Alarm=None
Next State is: Mash
Mash: When the Mash Timer has counted Down to zero, my Alarm sounds and I must silence it. The exit is based on Time.
Alarm = Loop
Herms Pump = On
HLT PID Maintain Mash
Mash Timer = Countdown Init Val 01:30:00
Exit on Mash Timer <= 0
Next State : Clear Herms
Clear Herms: I manually turn on some valves and pump Hot water through the Herms coil to get all the Wort out. Then I click the Next State Toggle
Alarm=None
Next State is: Sparge

DinNextState1.png
DinNextState1.png (22.09 KiB) Viewed 3451 times
DinNextState2.png
DinNextState2.png (65.91 KiB) Viewed 3451 times
Bayoujeeper

Post by Bayoujeeper »

I use a din for this same purpose, so basically I just monitor the brew day with the interface, and advance through all states with combinations of exit conditions (Based on timers/temps) and the Din setup for input.
Also I love OakBarn's replies because they always include pics! I am a visual person, so Thanks Oak! You have helped me on more than one occasion with your illustrations!
jimg@gsp

Post by jimg@gsp »

Awesome explanation!

Thank you both for your replies.

Jim