Where is the reset button?

Get help and insight.
Juangrande
Bot?: No

Where is the reset button?

Post by Juangrande »

Would someone please post a pic of the location for the reset button on the BCS-462? My controller is tucked way up inside my enclosure and I can't see it.
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Where is the reset button?

Post by JonW »

Attached is a picture showing the location. Use a non-metallic object when pressing the reset button.

FYI - If you need to remove your BCS from its enclosure, your wiring can be left intact by unplugging the terminal strips from the BCS.
IMG_6216.JPG
IMG_6216.JPG (140.52 KiB) Viewed 5138 times
Juangrande

Post by Juangrande »

Thanks. Found it, but not easy to get to. Drilled a hole in back of cabinet. But, it does not seem to want to reset. Have tried 10, 20, 30+ seconds; nothing.

Everything is screwy since updating firmware (or at least trying to). Won't reset, doesn't show up on router, no digital display outputs.... I should have known better than to try upgrading; always a nightmare for some reason. Aargh! :x

I'm stumped, don't know what to do.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

How do you have your BCS connected to your network?

Since changing to the new firmware, are you using the new Finder app? The 3.x Finder app does not work with the 4.x firmware - you must use the 4.x Finder.

Your LCD displays are not going to function until you can connect to the BCS and restore your configuration.
Juangrande

Post by Juangrande »

Have tried both versions of BCS Finder, no luck.

Also tried direct hookup to laptop, nothing.

Default IP 169.254.0.63 - also nothing

Stand alone router, access to it from 2 other computers and 2 Androids work fine.

Yellow light: on
Green light: intermittent flash

Can't even roll back firmware to v3.7x without a connection
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Juangrande wrote:Stand alone router, access to it from 2 other computers and 2 Androids work fine.
Are you saying you can access the BCS when it is plugged into the router? If that is not the case, then how is the BCS connected to your network?

The preferred method of connection is to have the BCS plugged into the same router that services your desktop/laptop computer.

Do not update and configure with a direct connection. Do not update and configure with a wireless bridge. Yes, those methods can be used, but they should only be considered viable for expert users with networking experience. Those methods are not "plug and play". Networking rarely is.
Juangrande

Post by Juangrande »

No, I have not been able to access it at all, since updating firmware.

What I meant was, I can access the router just fine, then and now, but there is no BCS there.

BCS was originally hooked up to a stand alone Linksys WRT400N wireless router, that served nothing else. I was able to access the BCS, hardwired to the router and from 3 wireless devices, no problem. Then I updated, via wifi router connection.

I cannot find the BCS now and it will not reset
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I'm not trying to be thick headed here, but trying to get some clear understanding on your networking environment.

You said the BCS was the only thing the router "served", but you access it via 3 other devices. Do those 3 other devices not get their internet from the WRT400N router? You also call it a "stand alone" router?

To me, this sounds like your BCS is connected to your WRT400N router, but that router is in turn bridged to a different home network. Is this correct?
Juangrande

Post by Juangrande »

No problem. My layman's use of the terminology is obviously confusing the issue. I'm a hobbyist-consumer, not a tech.

I set up the router for the sole purpose of wireless access to the BCS, with no Internet. I was able to access the BCS, through that router, with 4 different devices: 3 wireless and one hardwired. I did not bridge this router to my Internet router (yet) because I wanted to be sure that it worked by itself before further complicating the setup. And, it did work fine, until I undertook the task of udating the firmware, at which point, I seemingly bricked the BCS' brain. The lights are on, literally, but nobody is home, figuratively. Fing does not detect a BCS on this network despite the presence of a node light on the router and green flashing light on the BCS. My guess is that I have somehow corrupted the firmware and cannot figure out how to reload it with no access. From what I'm reading, direct access is definitely not an option for me.

In retrospect, I would not recommend updating the firmware for the average non-techie, even though I have done so on numerous other devices because the TFTP setup is not user-friendly for non-techs. An autoloader app, like I've used before, is definitely in order for retail consumers, IMHO. Did I buy a Ferrari to drive the kids to soccer practice? Hell yes, guilty as charged. That's what consumers do. They buy $2500 controllers in order to make $100 worth of beer once a month. That would make me the thick-headed one here, and you the poor schmuck that has to suffer my stupid ass. :-)

Your thoughts?
RandR+

Post by RandR+ »

I feel like I had the same problem with my BCS462 after I updated the firmware. I couldn't find it with the finder tool or looking at the DHCP table on my router and the reset switch wasn't changing anything.

I left my unplugged overnight and most of the next day and when I plugged it in (connected to my network) it starting working. From there I was able to assign it a static IP and then put it on a wireless bridge.