BCS-460 4.0.1 build 84a28e7 program changing on its own

Get help and insight.
tommytomtom17
Bot?: No

BCS-460 4.0.1 build 84a28e7 program changing on its own

Post by tommytomtom17 »

Hi,
I recently purchased a BCS - 460 and had brewed once on it so far. I noticed during the setup of the program for my boil kettle, mash tun, and Herms that my temperature probe assignments were not what I thought I had set. I assumed that I programmed it wrong and changed it back.
so my first Brew went without any issues. Then I put my carboy into the chest freezer, I have the BCS wired to a power tail to control the temperature. I tested the freezer program for the first 14 hours of fermenting. When I woke up this morning one of the timers I was using had changed from timer3 to timer0. Therefore my freezer ran for an additional three and a half hours causing my temperature to drop from 65 degrees to 49 degrees.

I'm wondering if this is a known issue? I'm not sure if it happened because I had not reset power to the BCS in a few days and had made program changes? I have since reset the BCS and cannot fully test the program until my temperature rises back to 65 degrees. My wort is still active and bubbling I can see the yeast still moving around so I'm hoping that the five gallons was not as cold as the one gallon jug my probe is in. Any help is appreciated, thank you.
JonW
Site Admin

Re: BCS-460 4.0.1 build 84a28e7 program changing on its own

Post by JonW »

There are no known issues with the firmware. Can you send me a copy of your config file?
Crockettr

Post by Crockettr »

I need to post here because I believe there could be minor firmware issues with 4.0.1.
I have one system wired and running, using an older bcs462, that has 5 heaters and temp probes. This system works great.
I just started setting up my second bcs462 with only 1 temp probe so far, and I see issues.
I setup Processes 0 & 1 just fine, but I noticed minor nuances in the saving of the temp set points, however, Processes 2 & 3 would not allow me to change the setpoints above 0.

I found a work around for this.
If I turn Process 1 ON, then go to the Temp Setpoint Adjust page, them modify the Setpoint to 212, boiling.
After doing this, I am now free to edit and change my Setpoint at will and it works as expected.
I repeated this for Process 2 and the results are the same...everything now works.

I am fearful of having my setpoints change on the fly, though. If this happens during a brewing session I will loose a 15 gallon batch of beer.

I won't upgrade my other system to 4.0.1 until I have full confidence in this version.

Randy
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

What you're describing seems basic enough that many others would have had issues as well, but we've not had reports of it.

We have seen a few units where data is corrupted in the backup and when restored, creates some odd behaviors. Did you do your setup on a clean config after flashing or did you do a restore? If you did a restore, can you reset to default and see if the problem still exists?
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

If you have the Ramp Mode in use, it can change the Temp Settings on its own. That is how it works.

If you are using the Temp SetPoint Adjustment Page, you are also modifying the Process Editor at the same time and the next time you go to that Process and State, the Temp will be at the last setting from the Process Editor or the Temp SetPoint Adjustment as they are the SAME.

If neither of those, a Reboot is a great idea. In fact any computer needs a good kick in the pants once in a while.

A soft reboot can be done under Sysyem Settings at the bottom. There is a System Reset Pane with 2 buttons. One will reset the Defaults, the other is a simple soft reboot. Click the System Reset one. Warning: The Reset to Defaults will reset to the factory settings and you will lose any customization.

You can also do a hard Reboot by removing Power and then restoring it. I have my BCS on a switch Outlet just for that purpose.

I always try a reboot any time I am having issues first if I can. Obviously if you have a fermentaion going on, you may not want to reset. But if things are messed up, then it may not matter anyway. I have been using the BCS for some time without issues like you are having.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

The BCS is very stable and it is rare that it needs a reboot. I only suggest it after flashing firmware or doing a config restore. Other than those two times, it's generally not needed. (Even the config restore is only needed if you are changing networking parameters).
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Mine is very stable as well. I have had it running for months without issues. I have to reboot my laptop a lot more often and even my Wifi Routers Hot Spots than the BCS. Generally I reboot it when I am doing a Firmware update because I messed up the transfer of the new bin file. That being said, it is a computer and a Reboot is just something I do when I have an issue. In 99.999% of the cases when I have issues, I figure out that it was operator error :roll: :oops: . Misunderstanding HOW the BCS works is the #1 issue that I have that no reboot will solve. The other .000000001% , I can't figure where I did it and not repeat the problem. In my past I was a Quality Control Officer for aircraft problems and had to solve issues that were reported but not duplicated. I generally found that it was a misunderstanding of how something worked as opposed to how a pilot thought it did (or should). One thing anyone can do it to see if you can repeat the issue and the exact steps that were done to cause the issue. That way, you will get a better answer.