Bad Device (or fried after firmware update)?

Get help and insight.
brewhouse
Bot?: No

Bad Device (or fried after firmware update)?

Post by brewhouse »

We sent this in a couple weeks ago to tech@embeddedcc.com but I'm not sure if it went anywhere. Posting here to see if someone from ECC might be able to help us out.

Thanks!
Nathan
-----------------

We ordered a BCS-462 a few months ago and are just now hooking it up. I wanted to make sure we had the latest firmware update before settings everything up so I attempted the 4.0.1 update. After my TFTP server showed 1% progress in grabbing the file, it errored out. My BCS was still pingable but I couldn’t access the web interface. After a power cycle, I can’t access it at all via it’s address I reserved on my router nor any address on my network. The lights don’t turn on at all on the BCS end. On the router port it’s plugged into, the lights turn on when I power up the BCS. I tried adjusting my network settings to the default IP and even connecting a laptop directly to access via default IP but I’ve got nothing. I tried both 192.168.0.63/68 per the documentation for a hard reset on 3.x and 169.254.0.63 per some forum posts and other documentation I saw saying that was the default IP. I tried the 3 different hard reset methods several times, both while plugged into my router and while connected directly to the laptop. Nothing. On a possibly related note, back when things were functional, pinging the BCS would always drop every 4th packet. Not sure if that is normal.

Can you help me figure out where to go from here?
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Bad Device (or fried after firmware update)?

Post by JonW »

The only reset I would try is the 10-20 second reset. Using any of the others will require you to also change your computer to be on matching subnets.

If you've done the 10-20 second reset, the BCS should pull an address via DHCP. The fact that your TFTP only went to 1% and you were already having ping response issues leads me to believe that there was some type of communication problem going on. While it is extremely rare, it sounds like it may have a corrupted image. If you cannot access it after the 10-20 seconds reset, I'd suggest sending it back to Brewers Hardware to have it reflashed.
brewhouse

Post by brewhouse »

Hi Jon,

Just saw your reply. I guess I don't have email notifications on. Thanks for the quick reply.

I did try the 10-20 reset the first several times and only did the other as a last resort. I hooked up to my laptop with IP in the same subnnet. I'm no CCNA but have a decent networking background so it's not foreign to me.

Based on the symptoms I was also thinking it's probably a corrupt image. However, I'm a little worried about the ping response issues that were present even before attempting the update. Using the same cable and port on my router, I have no such issues with other devices. I'm hoping it's possible to pay upfront for a new one and be refunded once they receive the new one. We bought ours from Electric Brewing Supply. Do you know if Brewer's Hardware would still handle returns/reflashing?

Thanks,
Nathan
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Brewers Hardware owns ECC, so yes, they can do the reflashing for you. Electric Brewing Supply does not have the ability to reflash the board. You will need to send your unit in so that it can be checked. They do not ship new units out and then refund when yours is received.
brewhouse

Post by brewhouse »

OK, thanks again for the info Jon. I'll see if I can get in touch with them.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Call them - do not e-mail. They readily answer the phone.