BCS Programming Help - elements not turning off

Get help and insight.
mellman
Bot?: No

BCS Programming Help - elements not turning off

Post by mellman »

Hi everyone.

So I'm new to the BCS, running the latest 4.0.1 code. I thought the programming would be easy for me, but I'm having problems doing a simple process to heat my HLT.

My panel is wired up, using 3 way switches for my elements Auto / Off / On. On and Off work as expected. Auto isn't working how I thought it should.

I've setup a process for heating, but it never seems to stop heating, just keeps on going like it's in 100% Duty Cycle mode.

State 0 just waits for me to hit a button to signal that i'm ready to go, and that the elements are submerged in water. Pushing the Button works, it enters state 1, elements start to fire.
State 1 I set to control my two outputs, in PID mode, with a setpoint, say 100* F. I was assuming that in PID mode, the BCS would see that the probe is at 100, and turn the elements off, but this isn't happening.

I then tried manual mode, clicking the two outputs for my elements, they fire up. clicking the button again the green light goes off on the BCS, but the light on my panel tells me the elements still are getting 220. If i flip the switch to off, then back to Auto, the element stops firing and remains off.

I'm guessing that the problem is, somehow the relay is still getting 5V - but my question is how/why?
JonW
Site Admin

Re: BCS Programming Help - elements not turning off

Post by JonW »

Your assumption on the 5V feed still being present would be my guess also, but without seeing your wiring of the switches and relays, there's no way to confirm this.
mellman

Post by mellman »

I've reached out to Derrin at BH - seems the outputs on the BCS are never actually turning off.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

That's definitely not normal behavior. If the BCS is at fault, then the output driver is likely toast. This can happen from over-driving the outputs.

Can you share how you have this wired and what types of relays you are driving with it?
mellman

Post by mellman »

Wiring is pretty standard based off drawings from HBT/PJ/eBrewsupply, The 5v+ rail is even reading at 7v, so definitely an issue. I wired up my BCS460 in its place, and it seems to function normally (outputs turn on/off) and reads at 5v.

As an example my wiring for an element control looks like this
BCSout1 -> NO Switch -> Relay +5v

The relay is connected to the same grounding block as the BCS/rest of the panel.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I hear what you're saying, but I'm worried that if one BCS ended up with fried outputs, that another one could also. Like I said, this usually only happens when the output is over-driven. It can also happen from back feeding a power supply into it as well.

Do you have the specs on your relays? How many milliamps do they draw? Is there anything else being driven from the BCS 5V supply?
mellman

Post by mellman »

For my elements, I'm using Teledyne relays, http://goo.gl/bs6aDu

For my pumps and alarm, i'm using the DIN Rail mounted relays. http://www.ebrewsupply.com/din-rail-mou ... wer-relay/

The BCS 5V is going to the "always on" part of my 3 way switches, there are 8 switches in total connected to this, is it possible that when flipping all my switches to "on" to test lights/relays/current it was overdrawing? I have a 12v power supply in my box i could certainly wire up for the always on switching, but I didn't think the draw would be that much.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

mellman wrote:For my elements, I'm using Teledyne relays, http://goo.gl/bs6aDu
From the Specs on the relays it look like 4 to 30 vdc INPUT CONTROL at 3 mA.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Based on just those items connected, there shouldn't be any current over-draw issue.