HLT Auto-ignition

Get help and insight.
Viejo
Bot?: No

HLT Auto-ignition

Post by Viejo »

After having my BCS462 reflashed and updated with new software, I finally got my HLT to fire whenever I had it set to fire on Auto. That was the first time since I installed it two years ago, and that was back in the Winter. Ever since then, it's been unreliable. Most of the time, when it's supposed to fire, I hear the solenoid click open, then the electric igniter fails to fire or does so for a only fraction of a second, then everything shuts down (and I lose all my timer settings). But even today, when most autofire triggers didn't work, it actually did for one state condition. I've looked everywhere and I can't find any settings that are different.

Ideas?
JonW
Site Admin

Re: HLT Auto-ignition

Post by JonW »

What are your settings? Post a screenshot if you can.

What type of igniter are you using? If it's spark igniters, that's likely your issue. The wreck havoc on electronic control systems. If not spark, please describe your igniter type and how they're wired.
Viejo

Post by Viejo »

Here are two screen shots:
1) One of the settings in the Mash Process, calling for the HLT to fire to 155 F
HLT Setting.jpg
HLT Setting.jpg (107.37 KiB) Viewed 3024 times
2) The Auto-Ignition settings from the Settings tab
Auto Ignition Settings.jpg
Auto Ignition Settings.jpg (103.52 KiB) Viewed 3024 times
My igniter is a spark igniter. It works flawlessly on manual, and it works sometimes on auto with the BCS. I was really happy when I got my reflashed/updated BCS back from Brewers Hardware and it worked for the first time ever, but since then, it's been mostly not firing.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I'm guessing "Fire HLT" is the burner valve for your HLT? If so, then your configuration of the igniter output is incorrect. Your burner valve is on one output (out 0 to 7) and your igniter would be on another output (usually 8 or higher). When your burner "Fire HLT" needs to be turned on, then the additional output that is tied to your igniter is fired for the "warm up time" prior to the "Fire HLT" valve opening and then the igniter continues firing for the amount of time specified in "Igniter Time" after the "Fire HLT" valve is opened.

Can you tell me more about what kind of valves and igniters you have?
Viejo

Post by Viejo »

The burner control is a package that manages the whole sequence: opens the solenoid, waits few seconds, then fires the spark igniter. It has a built-in safety so that if there's no flame after 6 or 7 seconds, it closes the solenoid and shuts down. It runs in the sequence described in manual mode. The only difference in auto is that the BCS is switching on the SSR to control the ignition package instead of via the manual switch.