Can not connect to BCS 462

Get help and insight.
rdinc
Bot?: No

Can not connect to BCS 462

Post by rdinc »

I just received my BCS 462. I am attempting to direct connect. I have turned my Wi-Fi off. I have configured The IP address of my computer 169.254.0.60 with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. I have plugged in the ethernet cable then plugged in the power supply. I get a yellow light and about every 5 to 10 seconds a blinking green light. I have reset for 10 seconds. I have power cycled the BCS. And I still get no connection. I know it has been said many times of the best way to set this up as with a router but for now I need this to be direct connected. Can someone guide me through the proper steps or does anyone have any suggestions? I have run the BCS find her utility and it returns nothing.
oakbarn

Re: Can not connect to BCS 462

Post by oakbarn »

I have never got mine to directly connect. Routers are cheaper than hair replacements :D
brahn

Post by brahn »

There are so many variables for trying to get the direct connect working that it's very difficult to troubleshoot via the forum. It's also far more difficult to do this for the initial setup. If you really cannot have it connected to a router full time, at least connect it to a router to do the initial networking configuration then try to get it working with the direct connection.

The more recent firmware builds only have a single reset option, which is reset to defaults (using DHCP). I've never heard of anyone successfully using one of the other reset options so we got rid of them.

Also agree with oakbarn, you can get a cheap router in the $10-15 range that will make your life a lot easier.
fburke

Post by fburke »

The problem I'm having, and maybe rdinc was as well, is that the network my router advertises requires a password. As such the BCS cannot connect to it since there is no way to tell it the password before it tries to connect.

With my BCS-462 running 3.7 firmware I was able to direct connect to my Macbook Pro running the TFTP daemon (TFTPD) and download the 4.0.1 firmware. I set my laptop''s IP address to 169.254.0.60 and after doing the longest off the three reset options it automatically connected and download the .bin file I put in the tftp download folder.

However the BCS-460 I received today is a 4.0.0 firmware version and I cannot get into it on the 169.254.0.63 default IP. When I direct Chrome to go to http://169.254.0.63/ it just hangs and eventually times out. Is that still the correct default IP when it can't get one from a routers DHCP?

I'm not sure of the folks at ECC test anything other than the 'happy path' (where the router is not password protected) but if they did I haven't found any documentation describing out to get around these problems. At this point i'm not sure what else to try on the 460 other than doing a hard reset, which I don't think I should need to do on a brand new piece of hardware. Hopefully I just have the wrong default address.

Just to be clear getting the 462 firmware upgraded took many evenings of messing around to get it right but part of that was that I had it hooked up to the wireless DLink via the Access Point interface.

All help greatly appreciated.

-Fred-
brahn

Post by brahn »

I'm confused about what you mean by
the network my router advertises requires a password
. Do you mean your wireless network requires a password?

Since the BCS doesn't have wifi support built in, that needs to be taken care of by a bridge or by directly connecting the BCS using a wired connection. Using a wired connection will not require a password. If you can provide more information about your network, we might be able to help more.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Fred - the password you are describing sounds like it would be your wireless password. This has nothing to do with a DHCP address assigned for hardwired devices plugged directly into your router. We no longer support the direct connect method as it is an advanced method of connectivity with too many variables between the computer and the BCS to easily instruct users on how to use it. If your laptop is on the default subnet of your router and you plug the BCS into the router, the BCS will obtain an address on the same subnet via DHCP. You can then use the BCS finder app to quickly locate the BCS. We always suggest using DHCP reservations on your router so that it always issues the BCS the same IP address.

Edit: Also ensure you are using the new 4.0 BCS finder.