Stumped - RIMS gone wild?

Get help and insight.
BCS Portland

Stumped - RIMS gone wild?

Post by BCS Portland »

Recently my RIMS seems to have a mind of its own. When the 3 way switch was in manual or off the RIMS temps kept rising. About to brew today and decided to tear things apart before proceeding. I took the SSR and the switch out and independent of the system tested them with a light bulb and/or meter, both items passed the tests. I then turned the system back on without the RIMS SSR installed and the temps were still going up so that narrows it down to the temp inputs I think? I have my temp probe wires hooked up with QD's so I disconnected the RIMS probe and the temp dropped rapidly but did not disconnect as you would expect a probe to do.

So what could be wrong here? Where do I look? I did reset the controller and it did nothing.
ECC
Bot?: No

Re: Stumped - RIMS gone wild?

Post by ECC »

Do you have 2 probes? If so, could you try this?
http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/ ... reads_Zero
BCS Portland

Re: Stumped - RIMS gone wild?

Post by BCS Portland »

That was one frustrating brew session. One lesson is never brew with a sinus infection, the mental processes are on slow speed. I won't relate all the stupid things I did.

I rewired all the grounds to a terminal block for the probes and it seemed to fix the problem. However for some reason I overshot the Mash temps in the RIMS by about 5F and the RIMS probe read 126.7F and bounced between that and 126.7F for a time. Not sure why that happened but when I finally moved the temps up to Mash out @ 170F the RIMS probe started to read correctly again.

My OG numbers were off on this brew, I normally come pretty close but this time I was 1.065 instead of 1.073 which I chalk up to wacky temps and my damn Sinus.