Building a 220v System

Get help and insight.
yarz78
Bot?: No

Building a 220v System

Post by yarz78 »

I've sent this request to the tech support email address, but received a mailbox full error, so I'm turning to the blogosphere for help...

I'm an amateur home brewer looking to update my stove-top system to an all electric system with a BCS-460 at its center. However, I live in Germany right now and only have access to 220v from the wall. Does anyone know if the BCS-460 will run on 220 and where I can get wiring diagrams for a 220v only system? I've looked on the Brewers Hardware and ebrewsupply websites, but only found kits and plans for 110 systems that can power 220 elements.

Thanks!
oakbarn

Re: Building a 220v System

Post by oakbarn »

I have an HLT that is 220 controlled by the BCS. I use anElectricsl Contactor for the 220 controlled by an Ssr. The Electicsl Contactor is activated by 24 vac. The BCS controls the Ssr
brahn

Post by brahn »

I think it should work fine as long as you had an appropriate DC adapter to power the BCS itself.

The specs are:

6vdc / 1 amp / 1.3mm center positive coax
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Just looked at the BCS power supply and it is 110 v only so you may fry it with 220. Many power supplies are dual voltage but this one does not list it. You can also use a real transformer like this:

http://www.220-electronics.com/1000-wat ... wAodyFMKlw

I have tried to use the cheap converters with computers and not have much success as they burn out quickly, I used a transformer like the one above to power appliances so something like the BCS Power supply would be nothing,
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

The Model: International THG-200 on this site would work as well and a lot less $$
yarz78

Post by yarz78 »

Great info, thanks! I have a transformer already, so whatever I build, I'll make sure it is incorporated for the BCS-460.
Andy Dean

Post by Andy Dean »

It works just fine on 220v

I'm here in Scotland in the UK and built a control panel that is based around a BCS 462 that runs off a 220V 32A supply. I've used it about a dozen times now and it works extremely well.

To power the BCS itself all you need is a 6v power supply that can cope with a 1a current draw. Most electrical hobby store will supply them I used this one http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/regulated-6v- ... pply-l66bq from a retailer here in the UK, the tip kit contains the correct size and I think most tip kits will.

I used that power supply to test and set up the BCS but used a 6v buck transformer to step down from 12v in the actual panel. This is the 6v buck I used in the panel; https://www.amazon.co.uk/DEOK-Waterproo ... B00H1OYOLY

The high voltage wiring is actually slightly easier than in the US as we don't have to worry about the center tapped split phase power supply they have (two live, Hot A & Hot B), we just have 220volts on one live wire, so we just need one SSR/Relay to switch the whole 220volts.

I've attached an early wiring diagram of my panel which is essentially correct, the wiring of the rocker switches is slightly different however in the final panel to get them to illuminate how I wanted them to.
Attachments
Panel Wiring.jpg
Panel Wiring.jpg (99.52 KiB) Viewed 4713 times
wiring 0302.pdf
(148.99 KiB) Downloaded 238 times