Is my trusted BCS-460 realy dead?

Get help and insight.
Bringbar76
Bot?: No

Is my trusted BCS-460 realy dead?

Post by Bringbar76 »

Hi,

I have recently had some issues with the LAN connection of my BCS-460. I have had a cable with the clip on the connector going into the LAN port on the BCS broken off so I have had to push the connector into the socket for good connection a few times. This has worked and I have had no big issues. However, today when trying to connect then first the lights blinked in a strange fashion. Both orange and green stayed on for a 1/2 second or so and then was gone for a second and then on again. I were then not able to connect to the BCS. I then tried several times with removing the cable. But nothing helped. And now the lights does not light at all! I have removed the card and there are no loose parts. I have also tried to reset the BCS, but nothing seems to happen. It stays black.

Since there is no light on the actual BCS, only the LAN-port, I cannot see if the unit gets the electricity to start or if this is a problem with the LAN socket (which I suspect)

Does anyone have an idea or a hint on how I can fix this? :shock:
brahn

Re: Is my trusted BCS-460 realy dead?

Post by brahn »

First off, have you tried a new cable with a functioning clip? That's a pretty simple thing to try for around $5.

What version of the firmware are you running and how long did you hold down the reset button?
Bringbar76

Post by Bringbar76 »

Thanks for the quick reply! Truly appreciate it.

Yes, I have now tried several cables. Both to the router and also directly connected to the PC. But no light will shine :( I have installed the latest firmware version and I pressed the reset button while counting slowly to 15, so about 15 sec I guess. I have now checked the power supply connected to the unit and it gives 6V as it should. So there should be no problem with the power.

Any ideas?
brahn

Post by brahn »

My concern based on your first post would be that pushing hard on the network cable enough times weakened the connection between the lan port and the board, and the network connection is no longer working. It's hard to say for sure what the issue is, but based on your post I think you're right that it's more likely something with the lan port than anything else.
Bringbar76

Post by Bringbar76 »

Yes, this is my concern also even though I have take care not to use too much force then pushing the connector being aware this could potentially damage the LAN port.

Do you have any suggestion on how to fix an bad LAN port? How about soldering the CAT cable directly onto the pins from the port going through the PCB? Then I would need a map on which pin to attach which cable, but I guess this could be an idea, right?