Connecting BCS-460 though a repeating router

Get help and insight.
John H
Bot?: No

Connecting BCS-460 though a repeating router

Post by John H »

I set up a wireless bridge and purchased a repeating router for a building in which I will be using the BCS. Currently have great connection on laptop wirelessly in building. Any advice on what I need to do to locate my BCS on my network. No luck with any of the BCS finders. It is currently wired with ethernet cable directly to repeating router. Any advice would be greatly appreciated I have been pulling hair out for over a week and am almost bald.
John
John H

Re: Connecting BCS-460 though a repeating router

Post by John H »

Also computer is using Windows 8. Downloaded BCS Finder multiple times whenever I go to open it a screen pops up and it says repair or remove BCS finder won't open.?
jward

Post by jward »

Connect to your router and see what address its DHCP server gave it.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

There are many repeaters/bridges that do not pass UDP broadcasts which is how the finder works. Plug the BCS into your main router locally to get the address for it. Also make sure you either set a DHCP reservation for the BCS in your router or you use a static IP address because if the address changes later, you won't be able to locate it again.

What firmware version are you using and which finder are you using? The original finder only works with the 3.x series and the new finder only works with the 4.x series. It's important to use the correct finder for each firmware.
John H

Post by John H »

Thanks JonW and jward for the help. I plugged the BCS into main router and set up a DHCP reservation for the BCS.
Then entered that address into Google Chrome and it opened right up. Should I know try this back at the repeater?
John H

Post by John H »

I moved the BCS back out to the repeater and hooked back up was able to now open BCS in chrome browser. Also opened on my iPhone. Thanks for the help.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Good to hear. As I stated, most likely finder couldn't locate it due to the UDP packets not being forwarded by the repeater.