Can't connect to bcs462. quite frustrated

Get help and insight.
jcc
Bot?: No

Can't connect to bcs462. quite frustrated

Post by jcc »

I bought a used BCS462 with some other gear. Was hoping to use it today but it looks like it's not going to happen because I can't even connect to it.

plugged it into my router, the orange and green lights are on, but the finder tool doesn't find it, and when I look on the "connected devices" list in my router, it doesn't show up.

I hard reset the router thinking the problem was there, but it didn't solve anything and I had to redo all my settings. Other devices are connecting to the ethernet ports on the router just fine.

I tried plugging the BCS462 directly into a laptop thinking that maybe the previous owner had it configured for direct connect only or something, but apparently I need to configure the laptop somehow for this... posts here reference some wiki for help with this, and I even found a link, but the link is dead and no amount of forum search or googling seems to come up with anything.

WTF am I supposed to do with this thing? anyone have any advice?
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Can't connect to bcs462. quite frustrated

Post by JonW »

You said you did a hard reset on your router (never needed), but did you do a hard reset on the BCS? If the previous owner had a static IP configured, you'll never find it unless your network is setup with the same subnet addressing. You need the BCS to be reset to use DHCP. Don't mess with direct connect, only work with it directly connected to your router.

There are two different BCS locators, so you'll need to know if the BCS is running the 3.x firmware or the 4.x version and use the appropriate one. If you don't know the firmware version, then you may just need to try both programs.

It is VERY VERY VERY rare that a BCS is dead or not working. This is likely just a network config issue. Reset it and you should be good to go.
jcc

Post by jcc »

JonW wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:25 am
You said you did a hard reset on your router (never needed), but did you do a hard reset on the BCS?
I did not because there is no way to, at least not that I can see. The unit has no buttons or switches. I can only powercycle it.

I did solve the problem though.. Apparently BCS462 wont work with a 50ft cat 5 cable. now I have a bunch of temp sender cables stretched across the house. oy.

Thanks for the reply.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Glad you solved the problem. 50 ft cable has no bearing on the BCS. It's an Ethernet device like any other. Likely your 50 ft cable has an intermittent break or bad connector.

There is a small reset hole on the side of the unit. Your mounting bracket may be hiding it - you can slide it down to reveal.

If it is not on 4.x series firmware, I highly suggest you download that and upgrade the unit.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

My BCS 462 is connected by 200 feet of cat 5