BCS 462 locks up

Get help and insight.
odd13ryan
Bot?: No

BCS 462 locks up

Post by odd13ryan »

Frequently (several times per week) one or more of my BCS-462 units lock up and leave the system in whatever state it's in at the time. For example, if it freezes with a glycol valve open, that tank is going to crash if we don't catch it.

I saw another post on the forum that mentioned electrical interference. What types of interference could cause this? Any other troubleshooting tips? I'm going to have to switch to another solution if I can't get this solved, as the cost of a batch of beer for me is too high. I can send a picture of the wiring if that would be helpful.
clearwaterbrewer

Re: BCS 462 locks up

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

I have just the webui portion freeze, the rest of it works just fine, it looked dead, but the timers and PIDs functioned normally, we just could not see them...
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

clearwaterbrewer wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:26 am
I have just the webui portion freeze, the rest of it works just fine, it looked dead, but the timers and PIDs functioned normally, we just could not see them...
When this happened, did a browser refresh reset the display to proper?
clearwaterbrewer

No, going to a completely new PC did not help either. (this was 4.0.1, FWIW) I suspected it was still operating normally, and we had documented when a 1-hour process-state hadstarted, so we waited, and when that was done,sure enough, it went to the next state, we still could not get in, so power-cycled and restarted the process and advanced to that state... it is a semi-weekly occurrence...
brahn

Post by brahn »

That's interesting. Can you provide more information about the environment? What browser/OS are you using? You say going to a new PC didn't help, what happened? Were you able to load the interface at all from the other PC? What did it show?

It sounds like the freeze is on the client side, but going to a new PC/browser should work in that case.
clearwaterbrewer

no connection... next time it happens I can see if a wireshark of the connection attempt shows anything.

BCS hard wired, 4.0.1
iPad - wireless (unknown version at this time)
PC - win10, chrome (latest version) - could not load website, server not responding..
RiverCityBrewer

Post by RiverCityBrewer »

I had a similar issue this weekend with a 460 after upgrading to 4.1.1... Never had the issue with 4.0.1 though. The webgui on an Android tablet and phone would both freeze up when alarms went active. I have a DIN that cancels the alarm so I would have to use it instead of hitting the dismiss alarm on the web page. While the freeze up happened I noticed I would get a 'BCS Disconnected' message on the screen. Once I cleared the alarm, a few moments later the web page would stutter a bit then come back to life. I'll try and re-create the issue and see if I can get a packet grab as well.
brahn

Post by brahn »

If it's happening just on Android it may have something to do with the update to allow audio alarms on mobile devices that was added in 4.1. I've been using this feature for some time on Android and iOS with no issues but Android has a lot of variation and that may be why you're seeing an issue with 4.1 that you didn't have with 4.0. I think this is different from what clearwaterbrewer is reporting.

Can you provide additional information on the tablet and phone? Android version, browser, and browser version?