BCS-462 no connect

Get help and insight.
16nine
Bot?: No

BCS-462 no connect

Post by 16nine »

Jon - sorry to trouble you. tried everything, no joy. also read all the old posts this topic. here's a synopsis, I'm ready to send it in for help
- MAC is AA:00:02:00:22:87; firmware 4.0
- tried all the following combinations of settings on 3 different systems running WinXP/SP3, Win7 & Mac OS Yosemite
- tried all 3 reset button-hold times
- tried WiFi
> with DHCP enabled (using NetGear WNCE2001adapter)
> with different static IP address assignments
- tried direct connect with & without WiFi-radio disabled:
> connected directly to the Router as well as to each of the 3 machines
> searched thru all 255 IP addresses on both 169.254.0.xxx & 192.168.0.xxx ranges
> with DHCP & static IP assignments
- RJ-45 socket always displays a rock-solid YELLOW and the GREEN light flashes intermittently (in both WiFi & direct connect)
> when I interrogate with the "original" BCSFinder and the updated BCSFinder 4.0 utility I can usually make the GREEN LED flash

[FYI, I also have a BCS-420 which is behaving normally via WiFi/DHCP: BCSFinder hits it instantly, but that unit doesn't have enough OUT ports so I'm now stuck]

I'm super frustrated, it's going on day 4 trying to get this to work. Can you please assist?

Kind Regards - Phil
JonW
Site Admin

Re: BCS-462 no connect

Post by JonW »

Let's see if we can work through this.

Have you ever been able to connect since loading 4.0? If it was successfully updated to 4.0, then only use the 4.x Finder utility (the earlier 3.x finder does not work with 4.0 and later firmware).

When you say you can't get WiFi to work, I'm guessing you mean using the Netgear wireless bridge. Do not even bring the bridge into the mix until you can connect to the BCS with it directly plugged into your router. It's just another variable that needs to be eliminated for troubleshooting.

Do not use a direct connection to a computer either as this also puts several advanced networking configurations into the mix. Only connect the BCS to a router that has a DHCP server enabled for your initial connection and configuration. You can LATER reconfigure it with a static IP to do direct connections or to use it through a bridge.

Do not try the multiple reset button options of different times as they are removed from the 4.x firmware. There are only 2 modes now: immediate push and release for a reboot and a 10 second hold and release to clear the BCS and reboot in DHCP mode.

Based on the LED activity, it really sounds like the BCS is there, but a networking problem is preventing you from accessing it.
16nine

Post by 16nine »

I'm pretty sure it was functional after updating to 4.0, and the lights are all a-flashing so it's obviously interacting with *somethng* on the net

I also verified the Cat5 cable works (I used it with the BCS-460)

okay... here's my plan:
- apply power to the unit
- press & hold the RESET button for 10-sec
- connect it to one of the Router's Ethernet port via Cat-5 cable (the Router is DHCP-enabled, it's successfully communicating with other WiFi & Ethernet components)
- run BCSFinder 4.0 & determine IP address
- use the DHCP-assigned IP address as the Browser URL to launch the UI

I'll let you know how it all works later today

incidentally, if it was *not* updated to 4.0, should this same sequence be performed (except use the original BCSFinder utility)?

THANKS
16nine

Post by 16nine »

still not connecting:
1. applied power to the BCS-462, then pushed & held RESET for 10 seconds
2. direct-connected to the Router, which has DHCP enabled
3. BCSFinder 4.0 doesn't show it. neither does the earlier vintage BCSFinder utility
4. my Router's diagnostic doesn't list the BCS-462 (in any ways... IP address nor MAC address) as a connected device; the diagnostic is working because it still shows the other Ethernet connections as active); the BCS-462 green light flashes intermittently & there's still a solid yellow light; also, the green LED on the Router's RJ-45 jack where this cable is connected flashes in unison with the Router's other port connection)
5. disconnected power from the BCS-462 & repeated steps 1-4 after pressing RESET for slightly more than 10-sec (ok, I'm OCD - wanted to make sure it's actually RESETing)

thoughts?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I would say you might just want to send it in to Brewers Hardware and they can reflash it for you. Not knowing if you successfully flashed it leads me to believe that maybe it got corrupted in the process and hasn't worked since that time.
16nine

Post by 16nine »

Ok Thanks for your assist Jon. I'll go that route & let you know
16nine

Post by 16nine »

SUCCESS - the kind staff at Brewers Hardware re-flashed the unit (to 4.0.1 build 84a28e7) & returned it super quick. I just connected it & BCSFinder got it right away via DHCP. The UI launched immediately and all is well. So pleased with those guys! Also big thanks to you Jon!