Temp probe issue

Get help and insight.
brew_vet
Bot?: No

Temp probe issue

Post by brew_vet »

Greetings,

I haven't used my BCS 462 in a few months. I had been planning a new brew day so today I logged into the BCS and noticed an issue with temp probes 3 and 4 reading erratically and extremely high temperatures. Temp probe 3 is swinging from 615 to 660 Fahrenheit or so. Temp probe 4 is reading pretty steady in the 330 degree range. The other probes read fine in the low 60 range. I tried checking the settings for the probes and they are the same as the others, I also tried swapping the probes from a known good one with the same result. I also noticed with NO probes connected to either 3 or 4 it still shows the same reading, so I checked the wiring and made sure there were no shorts. Lastly I removed the black connector from the BCS for all temp probes and probes 0,1,2,5,6 and 7 read 0. Temp probes 3 and 4 still read the same high readings.

I am at a loss here as it appears the wiring is not an issue and it isn't the probes themselves so last thought is a problem with the BCS. I am running the firmware 4.1.1, but it was doing this prior to upgrading.

Ideas?

Thanks
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Temp probe issue

Post by JonW »

I don't recall seeing anyone having an issue like this. I'd suggest sending it over to Brewers Hardware and have them take a look at it. Seems like some kind of hardware issue. Please put a note inside with "Attention: Derrin" and some info explaining the problem. Derrin will be expecting it.

One additional question on testing - right after updating the firmware (before restoring your config), does #3 and #4 still read high?
brew_vet

Post by brew_vet »

Jon,

Thanks for the reply, #3 and #4 do show the same after updating. Here are a couple of screenshots of the temperature guages and the settings.
BCS Capture.PNG
BCS Capture.PNG (34.12 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
BCS Capture2.PNG
BCS Capture2.PNG (31.81 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
These are without anything plugged into #3 or #4.
brew_vet

Post by brew_vet »

Well looks like my 462 is 'toast' according to Derrin. The board appears to be shot. So I guess I am going to sell my existing 2 vessel system 'as is' sans the BCS.